Date:	Sun, 23 Feb 2014 07:18:20 -0500
From:	Gene Heskett <gheskett@...v.com>
To:	Ilia Mirkin <imirkin@...m.mit.edu>
Cc:	"linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org" <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: It BOOTS! 3.13.5 that is.

On Sunday 23 February 2014, Ilia Mirkin wrote:
>On Sun, Feb 23, 2014 at 12:18 AM, Gene Heskett <gheskett@...v.com> wrote:
>> On Saturday 22 February 2014, Ilia Mirkin wrote:

>>>Adding random stuff to .config won't work, as you noticed.

>>>I'm too lazy to edit them out)
>>>
>>>  x Symbol: VIDEO_CX88 [=m]
>>>  x x Type  : tristate
>>>
>>>     x x Prompt: Conexant 2388x (bt878 successor) support
>>>
>>>        x x   Location:
>>>           x x     -> Device Drivers
>>>
>>>              x x       -> Multimedia support (MEDIA_SUPPORT [=m])
>>>
>>>                 x x (1)     -> Media PCI Adapters (MEDIA_PCI_SUPPORT
>>>
>>>[=y])                  x x   Defined at
>>>drivers/media/pci/cx88/Kconfig:1
>>>
>>>                          x x   Depends on: MEDIA_SUPPORT [=m] &&
>>>
>>>MEDIA_PCI_SUPPORT [=y] && (MEDIA_AN x x   Selects: I2C_ALGOBIT [=m] &&
>>>VIDEO_BTCX [=m] && VIDEOBUF_DMA_SG [=m]  x
>>>
>>>HTH,
>>>
>>>  -ilia
>>
>> Sorry, no such beast As VIDEO_CX88.
>>
>> Now that tells me something in the VIDEO dept isn't set, but what?
>
>Look at the e-mail I sent. It includes the full path to enabling the
>right things. First select "Device Drivers", then enable "Multimedia
>support", then enable "Media PCI Adapters". You should see "Conexant
>2388x" in there.
>
>  -ilia

Nope, but I found it just before I went to bed.  Reading through the
various Kconfig files, it turned out that there are 2 more requisits to
even being able to see it, its also dependent on RC_CORE which was not
enabled.  So I fired off a build and went to bed knowing it would take
an hour as amanda was also running.  Now I am about to reboot to test.

After the reboot, an lsmod shows the correct (I think, crosscheck this
list please) modules loaded:
gene@...ote:~/src/linux-3.13.5/drivers/media/rc$ lsmod |grep cx
cx8802                 11232  0
cx8800                 23126  0
cx88xx                 69224  2 cx8802,cx8800
v4l2_common             3438  3 tuner,cx8800,cx88xx
videodev               88190  4 tuner,cx8800,cx88xx,v4l2_common
tveeprom               11057  1 cx88xx
btcx_risc               2799  3 cx8802,cx8800,cx88xx
videobuf_dma_sg         7044  3 cx8802,cx8800,cx88xx
videobuf_core          13768  5 videobuf_dvb,cx8802,cx8800,cx88xx,videobuf_dma_sg
i2c_algo_bit            4647  2 cx88xx,nouveau
i2c_core               17109  12 or51132,tuner,cx8800,cx88xx,v4l2_common,videodev,tveeprom,i2c_nforce2,nouveau,drm_kms_helper,drm,i2c_algo_bit

But kaffeine can't find it. The tv configure pulldown did show it, ghosted
like something else has a lock on it, so I removed it thinking it might
rescan and find it, but no such luck.  And the kde manual for kaffeine
seems to be on the missing list.

There is evidence in the dmesg that too many tuners are enabled, and no
evidence of the /lib/firmware/dvb-fe-or51132-vsb.fw being applied. It
has been powered down several times, and it needs that firmware
reloaded each time, and I've forgot how to do that.

I know it worked but poorly with kernel 2.6.32-132-RTAI, so thats the
next step, reboot to that to dbl-check.

Thanks Ilia.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

NOTICE: Will pay 100 USD for an HP-4815A defective but
complete probe assembly.