Date:	Sat, 15 Mar 2014 13:57:29 +1100
From:	Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh@...nel.crashing.org>
To:	Greg KH <greg@...ah.com>
Cc:	Tejun Heo <tj@...nel.org>, Mark Brown <broonie@...nel.org>,
	Stewart Smith <stewart@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>,
	linux-next@...r.kernel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the driver-core tree

On Sat, 2014-03-15 at 00:03 +0000, Greg KH wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 09:14:55AM +1100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> > >
> > > Right, a topic branch that gets merged in both driver-core-next and
> > > powerpc-next.
> >
> > Just want to make sure we agree ... ie, the offending commit is already
> > in powerpc-next on my side and I can't really back it out (I could
> > revert it though).
>
> You can pull in driver-core-next into your tree if you want, it's not
> going to be reverted, and will be sent to Linus for 3.15-rc1, so you can
> base your work on it and fix up the api usage in your tree that way.

It's messy. Stephen really doesn't like if we pull each other trees like
that unless they are topic branches. He also doesn't like when we keep
pulling Linus in.

For example I purposefully kept powerpc -next on top of rc2. You seem to
regularly merge subsequent rc's into driver-core-next. So by pulling
your tree I would bring a whole lot of stuff on top of mine, which is
fine by git but makes histories more complicated and annoys Stephen.

I might still do it this time around, because the other solution for me
is revert + re-apply with fixups on top of a separate branch itself
derived from driver-core-next and send multiple pull requests to Linus,
and that's messy too. The question is which one is more :-)

Cheers,
Ben.