Date:	Sat, 15 Mar 2014 05:29:42 +0000
From:	Greg KH <greg@...ah.com>
To:	Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh@...nel.crashing.org>
Cc:	Tejun Heo <tj@...nel.org>, Mark Brown <broonie@...nel.org>,
	Stewart Smith <stewart@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>,
	linux-next@...r.kernel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the driver-core tree

On Sat, Mar 15, 2014 at 01:57:29PM +1100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Sat, 2014-03-15 at 00:03 +0000, Greg KH wrote:

> > > Just want to make sure we agree ... ie, the offending commit is already
> > > in powerpc-next on my side and I can't really back it out (I could
> > > revert it though).
> >
> > You can pull in driver-core-next into your tree if you want, it's not
> > going to be reverted, and will be sent to Linus for 3.15-rc1, so you can
> > base your work on it and fix up the api usage in your tree that way.
>
> It's messy. Stephen really doesn't like if we pull each other trees like
> that unless they are topic branches. He also doesn't like when we keep
> pulling Linus in.

I only pull Linus in after a -rc in which I have merged patches with him
for that "topic".  Otherwise I end up with merge issues, and for testing
reasons, I want those fixes from Linus and from me, in order to keep
people from hitting the same already-fixes issues.

> For example I purposefully kept powerpc -next on top of rc2. You seem to
> regularly merge subsequent rc's into driver-core-next. So by pulling
> your tree I would bring a whole lot of stuff on top of mine, which is
> fine by git but makes histories more complicated and annoys Stephen.
>
> I might still do it this time around, because the other solution for me
> is revert + re-apply with fixups on top of a separate branch itself
> derived from driver-core-next and send multiple pull requests to Linus,
> and that's messy too. The question is which one is more :-)

Just take my tree, it's not a big deal, I'll merge first with Linus if
you want and then everything is simple.

thanks,

greg k-h-