Date:	Tue, 1 Apr 2014 17:46:34 -0700
From:	Andy Lutomirski <luto@...capital.net>
To:	Marcelo Tosatti <mtosatti@...hat.com>
Cc:	Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
	zhang yanying <zhuangyanying@...wei.com>,
	Zhouxiangjiu <zhouxiangjiu@...wei.com>,
	"kvm@...r.kernel.org" <kvm@...r.kernel.org>,
	"johnstul@...ibm.com" <johnstul@...ibm.com>,
	Zhanghailiang <zhang.zhanghailiang@...wei.com>
Subject: Re: VDSO pvclock may increase host cpu consumption, is this a problem?

On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 5:29 PM, Marcelo Tosatti <mtosatti@...hat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 01, 2014 at 12:17:16PM -0700, Andy Lutomirski wrote:

>> > Are you suggesting to allow interruption of the timekeeping code
>> > at any time to update frequency information ?
>>
>> I'm not sure what you mean by "interruption of the timekeeping code".
>> I'm suggesting sending an interrupt to the guest (via a virtio device,
>> presumably) to tell it that it has been paused and resumed.
>>
>> This is probably worth getting John's input if you actually want to do
>> this.  I'm not about to :)
>
> Honestly, neither am i at the moment. But i'll think about it.
>
>> Is there any case in which the TSC is stable and the kvmclock data for
>> different cpus is actually different?
>
> No. However, kvmclock_data.flags field is an interface for watchdog
> unpause.
>
>> > Do you want to that as a special tsc clocksource driver ?

>> > Perhaps that is a good idea.

>> > No. kvmclock counting is interrupted on vm pause (the "hw" clock does not
>> > count during vm pause).
>>
>> Makes sense.

>> > Yep, probably good improvements, patches are welcome :-)
>> >

>> I may get to it at some point.  No guarantees.  I did just rewrite all
>> the mapping-related code for every other x86 vdso timesource, so maybe
>> I should try to add this to the pile.  The fact that the data is a
>> variable number of pages makes it messy, though, and since I don't
>> understand why there's a separate structure for each CPU, I'm hesitant
>> to change it too much.
>>
>> --Andy
>
> kvmclock.data? Because each VCPU can have different .flags fields for
> example.

It looks like the vdso kvmclock code only runs if
PVCLOCK_TSC_STABLE_BIT is set, which in turn is only the case if the
TSC is guaranteed to be monotonic across all CPUs.  If we can rely on
the fact that that bit will only be set if tsc_to_system_mul and
tsc_shift are the same on all CPUs and that (system_time -
(tsc_timestamp * mul) >> shift) is the same on all CPUs, then there
should be no reason for the vdso to read the pvclock data for anything
but CPU 0.  That will make it a lot faster and simpler.

Can we rely on that?

I wonder what happens if the guest runs ntpd or otherwise uses
adjtimex.  Presumably it starts drifting relative to the host.

--Andy