Date:	Wed, 23 Apr 2014 19:45:14 +0200
From:	Pavel Machek <pavel@....cz>
To:	Greg KH <gregkh@...uxfoundation.org>
Cc:	Jean Delvare <jdelvare@...e.de>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	Michal Marek <mmarek@...e.cz>
Subject: Generating .config from device tree [was Re: Hardware dependencies
 in Kconfig]

Hi!

> Ideally, the arch doesn't matter at all for a driver, only the
> infrastructure the driver depends on does.  So perhaps the

Actually, it would be nice if user was never asked for combination
that can be compiled, and kernel would support them, but there's no
such hardware.

For example, if I am configuring for Nokia N900, I pretty much know
all the devices -- not even USB host is officially supported, so this
machine is not extensible. Yet I'll have to answer about 1000
questions about config.

And ... we already have very accurate description of what hardware
Nokia N900 has -- in the device tree. Perhaps it would make sense to
generate hardware-dependend parts of config from device tree? [I'll
still need to answer questions like CONFIG_NFS but should
not have to answer CONFIG_DISPLAY_PANEL_SONY_ACX565AKM question.]

Anyway, script is attached, perhaps it is useful to someone.

[And yes, I believe we should build CONFIG_FOO corresponds to
"ti,omap3-foo" database.]

Run it from linux directory, and modify

        m.linux_path = "/data/l/linux-n900/"
        m.dtb_path = "arch/arm/boot/dts/omap3-n900.dtb"

to match your configuration.

									Pavel

View attachment "dtsconfig.py" of type "text/x-python" (2843 bytes)