Date:	Tue, 27 May 2014 17:35:05 -0700
From:	Greg KH <gregkh@...uxfoundation.org>
To:	"Winkler, Tomas" <tomas.winkler@...el.com>
Cc:	"arnd@...db.de" <arnd@...db.de>,
	"Usyskin, Alexander" <alexander.usyskin@...el.com>
Subject: Re: [char-misc-next 3/3] mei: add WPT second mei interface

On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 11:47:44PM +0000, Winkler, Tomas wrote:

> [...]

What's with the lack of line-wrapping?

Anyway, why does userspace care?  If it wants to look at the device id,
then just look at the symlink to the device id of the device node.  Then
you don't care what the device node is named / numbered.

> The assignment of the device name/id is pretty much static in the HW.
> Now the same device id database from the driver has to be copied to
> the udev rules or equivalent  and kept in sync.

What?  No.  Why would you want to do that?  Why does it matter what
order these devices are connected?  Are they talked to in different
ways?  Are they different "classes" of devices?  What are they and why
aren't they just "interchangeable" as far as userspace cares?

> Most importantly all the legacy user space just opens /dev/mei  so I
> wanted to leave /dev/mei (not /dev/mei0) to be assigned always to the
> first mei head and to not break existing user space.

That's fine, I have no objection to that.

> Can you be a bit more specific on why we cannot depend on minor
> numbers and default naming rules, what is the scenario that will
> break?

Why is the kernel picking a name for these with a specific minor number
in it?  What makes this different from a random tty device where you
don't care what the minor number is, you just care about where is it
connected so you look at the other things "around" it (pci path, vendor
id, etc.) and create a deterministic name from with a symlink, if you
care, with udev / mdev.

thanks,

greg k-h