Date:	Sat, 31 May 2014 18:52:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:	David Lang <david@...g.hm>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, robbat2@...too.org
Subject: Re: Licensing & copyright of kernel .config files (defconfig,
 *config)

I am not a Lawyer

But I would start asking the same questions about these files that we ask about
header files.

Is there anything in the file that is not functionally required? (I believe the
answer is no, everything there is required to be what it is to make the kernel
work)

The only possible grounds for copyright would be a claim that deciding which
things to select and which things to not select is a "creative" work.

Given that the only value in selecting or not selecting something is to make
things in the kernel work, I'm not sure that would pass muster. But if it did,
that would make the copyright be owned by the person who made those selections.

David Lang