Date:	Sun, 1 Jun 2014 21:18:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:	David Lang <david@...g.hm>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, robbat2@...too.org,
	Ken Moffat <zarniwhoop@...world.com>
Subject: Re: Licensing & copyright of kernel .config files (defconfig,
 *config)

I'm not seeing where there is a problem, unless you are trying to assume that
you have no right to distribute them at all.

there is no source for the .config file, it is the source. so when you
distribute it, you are complying with any distribution requirements.

it could be argued that distributing the kernel requires distribution of the
.config, but that's been violated so much that it's hard to see anyone worrying
about it (and it's best practice to distribute it anyway, and trival to make it
be part of the kernel via /proc)

what is it that's worrying you and causing the need to question the licenseing?

David Lang