Date:	Thu, 12 Jun 2014 23:52:08 +0300
From:	Dan Carpenter <dan.carpenter@...cle.com>
To:	nick <nickkrause@...patico.ca>
Cc:	martyn.welch@...com, devel@...verdev.osuosl.org,
	manohar.vanga@...il.com, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	gregkh@...uxfoundation.org
Subject: Re: PATCH[[vme/bridges/vme_ca91cx42.c:1382: Bad if test Bug Fix]‏‏

Martyn,

Nick Krause emailed me privately that he's not able to get git to work.
Normally for bug fixes, we would patch this up ourselves.

The offending code was introduced in:

commit 2b82beb8c1bc81b3dde69d16cacbc22546681acf
Author: Martyn Welch <martyn.welch@...com>
Date:   Thu Feb 18 15:13:19 2010 +0000

    Staging: vme: Add location monitor support for ca91cx42

The |= 0 does look very suspicious and I have a static checker warning
for code like that.  Certainly it sounds very authoritative to say that
instead of zero, CA91CX42_LM_CTL_AS_A16 should be (3 << 16).  But then
the condition:

	if ((lm_ctl & (5 << 16)) == (3 << 16))

is always false...  It is puzzling.

I don't know this code and I have no idea what is correct.  Was this a
real bug that Nick hit in testing, or was it a static checker fix?  He
hasn't told us any of this stuff...

What to do...

regards,
dan carpenter