Date:	Sun, 15 Jun 2014 12:14:04 -0700
From:	"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@...or.com>
To:	Andy Lutomirski <luto@...capital.net>
CC:	Andi Kleen <andi@...stfloor.org>, Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>,
	Mikael Pettersson <mikpelinux@...il.com>,
	Russ Cox <rsc@...ang.org>,
	Linux API <linux-api@...r.kernel.org>,
	Ian Taylor <iant@...ang.org>,
	X86 ML <x86@...nel.org>
Subject: Re: [RFC 0/2] __vdso_findsym

If it doesn't, then you incur an additional indirection penalty.  The strong __vdso symbol allows the libc wrapper to fall back to the vdso implementation, the weak symbol allows three to be no wrapper at all.  This is good.

The reason for changing ABI would be shifting types.  This is very much how glibc manages transitions.

--
Sent from my mobile phone.  Please pardon brevity and lack of formatting.