Date:	Thu, 26 Jun 2014 22:46:59 -0400
From:	Theodore Ts'o <tytso@....edu>
To:	Pavel Machek <pavel@....cz>
Cc:	kernel list <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: ext4: total breakdown on USB hdd, 3.0 kernel

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 10:30:52PM +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:

> It looks like the filesystem contains _way_ too many 0xffff's:

That sounds like it's a hardware issue.  It may be that the controller
did something insane while trying to do a write at the point when the
disk drive was disconnected (and so the drive suffered a power drop).

> I saved beggining of the filesystem using cat /dev/sdc4 | gzip -9 - > /dev/sda3, but
> then ran out of patience. So there may be something for analysis, but...

The way to snapshot just the metadata blocks for analysis is:

e2image -r /dev/hdc4 | bzip2 > ~/hdc4.e2i.bz2

But in this case, it's I doubt it will be very helpful, because
fundamentally, this appears to be a hardware issue.

       	    	       	       	       - Ted