Date:	Thu, 03 Jul 2014 09:54:57 +0900
From:	Namhyung Kim <namhyung@...il.com>
To:	Oleg Nesterov <oleg@...hat.com>
Cc:	Masami Hiramatsu <masami.hiramatsu.pt@...achi.com>,
	Steven Rostedt <rostedt@...dmis.org>,
	Srikar Dronamraju <srikar@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>,
	Tom Zanussi <tom.zanussi@...ux.intel.com>,
	"zhangwei\(Jovi\)" <jovi.zhangwei@...wei.com>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: probe_event_disable()->synchronize_sched()

Hi Oleg,

On Tue, 1 Jul 2014 21:31:47 +0200, Oleg Nesterov wrote:
> Namhyung, Masami,
>
> Please look at the question below. Perhaps we discussed this before,
> but I can recall nothing.

I'm not sure I grok the code enough to answer your question, but...

> On 06/30, Oleg Nesterov wrote:
>>
>> Actually, I'll probably try to make the patch tomorrow. It looks simple
>> enough, the main complication is CONFIG_PERF. And, to keep this patch
>> simple, I won't try to optimize (say) the TP_FLAG_TRACE-comes-first
>> case which could avoid uprobe_apply().
>
> I regret very much I said this ;) OK, I'll probably try anyway, but...
>
>> Yes, I still think it would be better to change the register/unregister
>> API first, but I do not know when I do this ;)
>
> OK, we can do this later.
>
> But it turns out that trace_uprobe.c needs other cleanups, and I simply
> can't uglify this code more without these cleanups... Starting from
> set/clear TP_FLAG_*. I'll recheck, but it seems that there is no reason
> to carefully set (say) TP_FLAG_TRACE before uprobe_register() and then
> clear it if _register() fails. And uprobe_dispatcher() is very ugly if
> is_ret_probe(). And more. So it needs a series.

Okay, I'd like to see it. :)

> And. I am puzzled by probe_event_disable()->synchronize_sched(). Why
> do we need it? I mean, why we can't use call_rcu() ? The comment says
> "synchronize with u{,ret}probe_trace_func" but it doesn't explain _why_
> do we need to sync.

It looks like the code was copied from trace_kprobe.c file.  But IIUC,
unlike kprobes, uprobe events are always called in a process context.

Also u{,ret}probe_trace_func() call handlers under rcu_read_lock() not
rcu_read_lock_sched() so I guess the synchronize_sched() can go.

Thanks,
Namhyung