Date:	Mon, 11 Aug 2014 15:18:32 -0300
From:	Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@....eng.br>
To:	"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@...or.com>, Borislav Petkov <bp@...en8.de>,
	Fenghua Yu <fenghua.yu@...el.com>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: BUG: early intel microcode update violating alignment rules

On Mon, Aug 11, 2014, at 11:51, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> We could put a buffer in the initdata region (we really could use an
> initbss region!) or in the brk.

That sounds much better than the hideous crap I came up with.  The
buffer would need to be at least 64KiB in size to be on the safe side.
The largest public microcode update ATM is 23KiB.

I am not sure if we might need more than 64KiB: the Intel SDM mentions
that in real mode the update data must not cross a segment boundary, and
also must not exceed a segment limit.  I am a bit rusty on real mode,
but doesn't that mean, in practice, that microcode update data size is
limited in size to 64KiB?

  Henrique Holschuh