Date:	Fri, 22 Aug 2014 01:43:15 +0000
From:	"Zheng, Lv" <lv.zheng@...el.com>
To:	Matt Fleming <matt@...sole-pimps.org>,
	Dave Young <dyoung@...hat.com>
CC:	"Fleming, Matt" <matt.fleming@...el.com>,
	"linux-efi@...r.kernel.org" <linux-efi@...r.kernel.org>,
	"linux-acpi@...r.kernel.org" <linux-acpi@...r.kernel.org>,
	"devel@...ica.org" <devel@...ica.org>,
	"lenb@...nel.org" <lenb@...nel.org>,
	"Wysocki, Rafael J" <rafael.j.wysocki@...el.com>,
	"Moore, Robert" <robert.moore@...el.com>
Subject: RE: kernel boot fail with efi earlyprintk (bisected)

Hi,

There is only limited entries in the x86 early mapping which is implemented by the FIXMAP.
So this means for all __init call invoked for x86, if there was a early mapping in it, it should be unmapped before exiting the __init call.

Using this rule, all __init call implementers can make sure that before entering the __init call, the limited number of FIXMAP entries is enough.

The following bisected commit just increase early mapping times from 1 to 2 in ACPICA early table handling code.
The number of 2 is less than the number of available FIXMAP entries.
And ACPICA code has ensured that all mappings are correctly unmapped after the table initialization.
So we didn't break the rule.

We can offer a workaround in ACPICA to reduce mapping count from 2 to 1 using a global option.
But since this report sounds like that the root cause is earlyprintk=efi has broken the above rule and the existing issue is triggered by this cleanup.
So could someone check the earlyprintk=efi code first?
I think earlyprintk=efi should either unmap the increased mapping or increase the number of FIXMAP entries in case earlyprintk=efi need additional early mappings.
Otherwise it will always be chances for earlyprintk=efi to break future code.

Thanks and best regards
-Lv