Date:	Tue, 26 Aug 2014 15:17:50 +0800
From:	Gavin Guo <gavin.guo@...onical.com>
To:	linux-usb@...r.kernel.org, Alan Stern <stern@...land.harvard.edu>,
	linux-kernel <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Cc:	Anthony Wong <anthony.wong@...onical.com>, YK <yk@...onical.com>
Subject: About the reboot hang issue with EHCI driver on the Baytrail platform

Hi,

I found that in the Baytrail-m platform if the "USB3.0 Configuration
in Pre-OS" is set to Auto in the BIOS, the system will boot with
EHCI-enabled. And test reboot 200 times. It sometimes hang in the
shutdown process "ehci-pci 0000:00:1d.0: shutdown." I also found that
sometimes hang in the booting up process. But it still black screen, I
can't see clearly where it hang.

After doing some experiments, I found the following symptoms:
1) Set the "USB3.0 Configuration in Pre-OS" to enable, the 200 times
reboot test can pass. Under the condition, lspci can't see the EHCI
[8086:0f34] controller.

2) Build a new kernel without the EHCI driver can also pass the 200
times reboot test.

3) Put "echo -n "0000:00:1d.0" > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/ehci-pci/unbind"
in the /etc/rc.local can avoid shutdown hang but sometimes it also
hang in the booting up process during the 200 times reboot test.

4) I also found some messages in dmesg which show "ehci-pci
0000:00:1d.0: port 1 reset error -110."

If there is any possibility to disable the EHCI controller in the
Baytrail platform because the XHCI covers all the ports connected to
EHCI controller. And IIRC, there is only one host controller within
EHCI and XHCI can be enabled in the Baytrail platform. I'm also trying
to find out the kernel parameters to disable the EHCI driver, but
currently there is no available one.

Thanks,
Gavin

View attachment "byt_dmesg.log" of type "text/x-log" (61844 bytes)