Date:	Fri, 19 Sep 2014 19:40:45 -0700
From:	Guenter Roeck <linux@...ck-us.net>
To:	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>, anish@...lsio.com
CC:	rdunlap@...radead.org, sfr@...b.auug.org.au,
	linux-next@...r.kernel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	JBottomley@...allels.com, mchan@...adcom.com
Subject: Re: linux-next: Tree for Sep 19

On 09/19/2014 07:08 PM, David Miller wrote:
> From: Anish Bhatt <anish@...lsio.com>
> Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2014 01:43:05 +0000
>
>> Original config causing issues can be seen here :
>> https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/9/9/500
>>
>> As CNIC depends on IPV6, CNIC can be only compiled as a module when IPV6 is
>> compiled as a module. This was the patch I originally commited. Previous
>> behaviour was to disable all ipv6 code in such a case. However, having bnx2fc/i
>>   as built-in overrides CNIC's tristate from m to built-in (as they select CNIC),
>>   causing build issues. As far as I know, there is no way to control the state
>> that select sets.
>
> Really, nothing that has dependencies should be "select"'d, ever.
>
> What people hack up is that they try to do this, and "make it work"
> by "select"'ing all of the selected object's dependencies.  And
> then you have to do this recursively for dependencies which have
> dependencies.
>
> This is really incredibly stupid.
>
> And once something in that chain gains a new dependency, all of
> these "select" instances break.
>
> I really want all of these netlink users to "depend" on "NET"
> rather than "select" it, and so on and so forth down to the
> users of these netlink using subsystems.

Sure, that makes sense on some level, but you would have to make sure
that any changes made are clean and don't break existing configurations,
and/or you would have to make sure that all affected configurations are
updated as needed. A single-line change in a configuration file, to hell
with the consequences, just doesn't cut it.

We already know that 11 out of 55 mips configurations are broken in
linux-next. I don't even want to know what else is broken. That is
a pretty high price to pay to achieve purity.

Guenter