Date:	Thu, 9 Oct 2014 14:35:11 -0700
From:	Ray Jui <rjui@...adcom.com>
To:	Dan Williams <djbw@...com>, Vinod Koul <vinod.koul@...el.com>
CC:	Scott Branden <sbranden@...adcom.com>, Ray Jui <rjui@...adcom.com>,
	<linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Consider moving the init of pl330 to earlier?

Hi,

How do you guys like the idea of moving the driver initialization of the
pl330 DMA driver to earlier? For example, to arch_initcall_sync or
subsys_initcall? Currently the pl330 driver is registered through
module_amba_driver call, which translates to device_initcall in the end.
This is a bit late considering in many systems, DMA controller is one of
the core components that may have many slave devices depending on. Most
slave drivers are typically done at device_initcall. When done at the
same level, DMA may not be ready while the slave devices are being
initialized. In addition, under the drivers/dma directory, we currently
have various other DMA drivers also done at subsys_initcall.

One issue that I'm seeing with the Broadcom Cygnus SoC is that, when we
try to use DMA with SPI (PL022), the request for DMA channel would fail
because the spi-pl022 driver we use is initialized at subsys_initcall.
At the time the PL330 driver is not yet initialized. The reason why
spi-pl022 is done at subsys_initcall is that some regulators communicate
through the SPI bus so people decided to move it to earlier (commit
25c8e03b by Linus Walleij), which seems to be a valid reason to me.

Thanks,

Ray