Date:	Tue, 2 Dec 2014 12:14:53 -0500
From:	Chris Mason <clm@...com>
To:	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
CC:	Mike Galbraith <umgwanakikbuti@...il.com>,
	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...nel.org>,
	Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>,
	Dâniel Fraga <fragabr@...il.com>,
	Dave Jones <davej@...hat.com>,
	Sasha Levin <sasha.levin@...cle.com>,
	"Paul E. McKenney" <paulmck@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>,
Subject: Re: frequent lockups in 3.18rc4

On Tue, Dec 2, 2014 at 11:33 AM, Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@...ux-foundation.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 2, 2014 at 6:13 AM, Mike Galbraith
> <umgwanakikbuti@...il.com> wrote:
>
> At the same time, the whole "incapacitated by the rt throttle long
> enough for the hard lockup detector to trigger" commentary about that
> skip_clock_update issue does make me go "Hmmm..". It would certainly
> explain Dave's incomprehensible watchdog messages..

Dave's first email mentioned that he had panic on softlockup enabled,
but even with that off the box wasn't recovering.

In my trinity runs here, I've gotten softlockup warnings where the box
eventually recovered.  I'm wondering if some of the "bad" commits in
the bisection are really false positives where the box would have been
able to recover if we'd killed off all the trinity procs and given it
time to breath.

-chris