Date:	Sat, 20 Dec 2014 16:08:20 -0800
From:	Richard <richjunk@...bell.net>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Kernel 3.17.x Attaching Keyspan 4-Port Serial to USB Adapter Causes
 Kernel Panic

On a new Gentoo based system with Kernel.org Kernels 3.17.4 to 3.17.7
when I physically plug the Keyspan 4-Port Serial to USB adapter into a
usb port my system freezes with a "unable to handle kernel NULL pointer
deference" message.

My old system (also Gentoo based with Kernel.org 3.17.4) does not have
this issue.  Both systems are using the USB_SERIAL_KEYSPAN_USA49W
driver module.

I tried booting into single user mode, using modprobe to load
USB_SERIAL_KEYSPAN_USA49W.  lsmod shows the driver.  When I pluged the
device in I receive the system freeze.  Below is what I copied off the
console ...

BUG:  Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer deference at 000...8c
IP: [<ffffffffa006fbdd>] usa49_instat_callback+0x4d/0xb0[keyspan]
PGD 1037faa067 PUD 1038301067 PMD 0
Oops: 0002 [#1] SMP
Modules linked in: keyspan ezusb usbserial hid_generic ...

Hardware name:  ASUS All Series/X99-A,  BIOS 1004 10/16/2014

If I can provide any more information, please ask.

Please CC my e-mail address with any replies, I do not subscribe to the
linux kernel list:   richjunk@...bell.net

Richard