Date:	Wed, 24 Dec 2014 02:32:42 +0000
From:	"Zhang, Yang Z" <yang.z.zhang@...el.com>
To:	Jiang Liu <jiang.liu@...ux.intel.com>,
	Paolo Bonzini <pbonzini@...hat.com>,
	"Wu, Feng" <feng.wu@...el.com>,
	Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...nel.org>,
	"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@...ux.intel.com>,
	"x86@...nel.org" <x86@...nel.org>, Gleb Natapov <gleb@...nel.org>,
	"dwmw2@...radead.org" <dwmw2@...radead.org>,
	"joro@...tes.org" <joro@...tes.org>,
	Alex Williamson <alex.williamson@...hat.com>
CC:	"iommu@...ts.linux-foundation.org" <iommu@...ts.linux-foundation.org>,
	KVM list <kvm@...r.kernel.org>,
	Eric Auger <eric.auger@...aro.org>
Subject: RE: [v3 06/26] iommu, x86: No need to migrating irq for VT-d
 Posted-Interrupts

Jiang Liu wrote on 2014-12-24:
> On 2014/12/24 9:38, Zhang, Yang Z wrote:
>> Paolo Bonzini wrote on 2014-12-23:

> affinity.

>>> That is correct indeed.  It is not associated to the wakeup vector,
>>> hence this patch is right, I think.
>>>
>>> However, the wakeup vector has the same function as the VFIO
>>> interrupt handler, so you could argue that it is tied to the host
>>> affinity rather than the guest.  Let's wait for Yang to answer.
>>
>> Actually, that's my original question too. I am wondering what
>> happens if the
> user changes the assigned device's affinity in host's /proc/irq/? If
> ignore it is acceptable, then this patch is ok. But it seems the
> discussion out of my scope, need some experts to tell us their idea since it will impact the user experience.
> Hi Yang,

Hi Jiang,

> 	Originally we have a proposal to return failure when user sets IRQ
> affinity through native OS interfaces if an IRQ is in PI mode. But
> that proposal will break CPU hot-removal because OS needs to migrate
> away all IRQs binding to the CPU to be offlined. Then we propose
> saving user IRQ affinity setting without changing hardware
> configuration (keeping PI configuration). Later when PI mode is
> disabled, the cached affinity setting will be used to setup IRQ
> destination for native OS. On the other hand, for IRQ in PI mode, it
> won't be delivered to native OS, so user may not sense that the IRQ is delivered to CPUs other than those in the affinity set.

The IRQ is still there but will be delivered to host in the form of PI event(if the VCPU is running in root-mode). I am not sure whether those interrupts should be reflected in /proc/interrupts? If the answer is yes, then which entries should be used, a new PI entry or use the original IRQ entry?

> In that aspect, I think it's acceptable:) Regards!

Yes, if all of you guys(especially the IRQ maintainer) are think it is acceptable then we can follow current implementation and document it.

> Gerry
>>

>>> Paolo
>>

>> Best regards,
>> Yang