Date:	Mon, 19 Jan 2015 09:06:12 -0500
From:	Don Zickus <dzickus@...hat.com>
To:	Zhang Zhen <zhenzhang.zhang@...wei.com>
Cc:	paulmck@...ux.vnet.ibm.com, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	morgan.wang@...wei.com, josh@...edesktop.org, dipankar@...ibm.com
Subject: Re: RCU CPU stall console spews  leads to soft lockup disabled is
 reasonable ?

On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 05:04:29PM +0800, Zhang Zhen wrote:

> > Did you really intend to acquire the same spinlock twice in a row,
> > forcing a self-deadlock?  If not, I of course suggest changing the second
> > "spin_lock()" to "spin_unlock()".
> >

> Yes, i acquire the same spinlock twice in order to reproduce the problem.
>
> > If your .config has CONFIG_TREE_RCU=y, the above is quite likely to
> > give you an RCU CPU stall warning.
> >

> In my .config CONFIG_TREE_RCU=y.
>
> If softlockup_thresh < rcu_cpu_stall_timeout, it will give soft lockup warning.
> If softlockup_thresh > rcu_cpu_stall_timeout, it will likely to give RCU CPU stall warning
> just like above and no give soft lockup warning.
>
> It means that RCU CPU stall console spews leads to soft lockup disabled.
> Is this reasonable ?

I believe so.  In kernel v3.10.., all activity to the console executed
touch_nmi_watchdog() which calls touch_softlockup_watchdog, which delayed
the softlockup for another round of 'softlockup_thresh'.

Of course back then, touch_nmi_watchdog touched all cpus.  So a problem
like this was masked.  I believe this upstream commit 62572e29bc53, solved
the problem.

You can apply that commit and see if you if you get both RCU stall
messages _and_ softlockup messages.  I believe that is what you were
expecting, correct?

Of course, on a non-virt guest, your test case would normally trigger a
hardlockup warning first.  And a later kernel version for the guest may
actually do that (not quite sure if the emulated PMU stuff is upstream or
not yet).  Just to set your expectations correctly.

Cheers,
Don