Date:	Fri, 20 Mar 2015 11:09:04 +0800
From:	Jiang Liu <jiang.liu@...ux.intel.com>
To:	Bjorn Helgaas <bhelgaas@...gle.com>,
	"Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@...ysocki.net>
CC:	Alex Williamson <alex.williamson@...hat.com>,
	Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...hat.com>,
	"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@...or.com>,
	"x86@...nel.org" <x86@...nel.org>,
	Thomas Hellstrom <thellstrom@...are.com>,
	"bp @ alien8 . de" <bp@...en8.de>, Lv Zheng <lv.zheng@...el.com>,
	"yinghai @ kernel . org" <yinghai@...nel.org>,
	"lenb @ kernel . org" <lenb@...nel.org>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	"linux-pci@...r.kernel.org" <linux-pci@...r.kernel.org>,
	"linux-acpi@...r.kernel.org" <linux-acpi@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [Bugfix] x86/PCI: Release PCI IRQ resource only if PCI device
 is disabled when unbinding

On 2015/3/19 22:08, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 6:29 AM, Rafael J. Wysocki <rjw@...ysocki.net> wrote:

>>> Hi Bjorn,
>>>       Thanks for review. I will rewrite the commit message.

>>> This is a quickfix for v4.0 merging window. We will try to solve this
>>> issue for next merging window.
>>
>> If that is the plan, then I'd rather revert the offending commit and try
>> again in the next cycle.
>>
>> Bjorn, what do you think?
>
> I don't know how hard it is to just revert that one commit at this
> point, but I would be in favor of doing that if it's feasible.
I will investigate about reverting.

> We're headed toward a real morass of changelogs for a design that
> seems destined for overhaul.  That makes it really hard to backport
> and rework things later.
>
> From the revised changelog:
>
>>> When suspending, PCI
>>> device driver may call pci_disable_device() and eventually release
>>> IOAPIC pin. When resuming, PCI device driver call pci_enable_device()
>>> and reallocating IOAPIC pin. Since v3.19, IOAPIC driver dynamically
>>> allocates IRQ number for IOAPIC pin. So when resuming, a different
>>> IRQ number may assigned, which breaks some PCI drivers' suspend/resume
>>> implementation.
>
> It seems like you're really standing on your head to make this
> situation work, and I think the result is too complicated and
> error-prone.  One test is to see whether you can write a short, simple
> description of how driver writers need to manage IRQs with respect to
> probe/remove/suspend/remove.
>
> There are two other possibilities I can see:
>
> 1) Decide that a driver that captures the IRQ and then calls
> pci_enable_device() is just broken, and fix those drivers to
> re-capture the IRQ every time they call pci_enable_device().  I assume
> you've looked at this already and concluded it's not practical?
>
> 2) Configure the IRQ in pci_device_probe().  Then it would be
> configured before the driver sees the device, and you could dispose of
> it in pci_device_remove() when the driver is unbound.
Actually I prefer solution 2 above. The key idea is to decouple
IRQ resource allocation from pci_enabe/disable_device(), so irq
resource will be allocated just before driver binding and will
be released after driver unbinding.

One issue left is the way to hook driver binding/unbinding events.
Currently pcibios_enable/disable_irq() are x86 specific, so I use
PCI notification to hook driver binding/unbinding evetns.
If you are OK with introducing two new weak functions
pcibios_enable/disable_irq() into PCI core, that's obviously
a clear solution, easier to maintain and may benefit other platforms
too in future.

So should I introduce pcibios_enable/disable_irq() into PCI core?
Thanks!
Gerry