Date:	Sat, 28 Mar 2015 12:47:25 +0100
From:	Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>
To:	"Michael Kerrisk (man-pages)" <mtk.manpages@...il.com>
Cc:	Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
	bill o gallmeister <bgallmeister@...il.com>,
	Jan Kiszka <jan.kiszka@...mens.com>,
	Daniel Wagner <wagi@...om.org>, Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>,
	Andy Lutomirski <luto@...capital.net>,
	bert hubert <bert.hubert@...herlabs.nl>,
	Rusty Russell <rusty@...tcorp.com.au>,
	Heinrich Schuchardt <xypron.glpk@....de>
Subject: Re: Revised futex(2) man page for review

On Sat, Mar 28, 2015 at 09:53:21AM +0100, Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) wrote:
> So, please take a look at the page below. At this point,
> I would most especially appreciate help with the FIXMEs.

For people who cannot read that troff gibberish (me)..

---
FUTEX(2)                   Linux Programmer's Manual                  FUTEX(2)

NAME
       futex - fast user-space locking

SYNOPSIS
       #include <linux/futex.h>
       #include <sys/time.h>

       int futex(int *uaddr, int futex_op, int val,
                 const struct timespec *timeout,   /* or: u32 val2 */
                 int *uaddr2, int val3);

       Note: There is no glibc wrapper for this system call; see NOTES.

DESCRIPTION
       The  futex()  system call provides a method for waiting until a certain
       condition becomes true.  It is typically used as a  blocking  construct
       in the context of shared-memory synchronization: The program implements
       the majority of the synchronization in user  space,  and  uses  one  of
       operations  of  the  system call when it is likely that it has to block
       for a longer time until the condition becomes true.  The  program  uses
       another  operation of the system call to wake anyone waiting for a par‐
       ticular condition.

       The condition is represented by the futex word, which is an address  in
       memory  supplied to the futex() system call, and the value at this mem‐
       ory location.  (While the virtual addresses for the same memory in sep‐
       arate  processes  may  not be equal, the kernel maps them internally so
       that the same memory mapped in different locations will correspond  for
       futex() calls.)

       When  executing  a futex operation that requests to block a thread, the
       kernel will only block if the futex word has the value that the calling
       thread  supplied  as expected value.  The load from the futex word, the
       comparison with the expected value, and the actual blocking will happen
       atomically  and  totally ordered with respect to concurrently executing
       futex operations on the same futex word, such as operations  that  wake
       threads  blocked  on  this futex word.  Thus, the futex word is used to
       connect the synchronization in user spac  with  the  implementation  of
       blocking by the kernel; similar to an atomic compare-and-exchange oper‐
       ation that potentially changes shared memory, blocking via a  futex  is
       an atomic compare-and-block operation.  See NOTES for a detailed speci‐
       fication of the synchronization semantics.

       One example use of futexes is implementing locks.   The  state  of  the
       lock  (i.e.,  acquired or not acquired) can be represented as an atomi‐
       cally accessed flag in shared  memory.   In  the  uncontended  case,  a
       thread  can  access  or modify the lock state with atomic instructions,
       for example atomically changing it from not acquired to acquired  using
       an atomic compare-and-exchange instruction.  If a thread cannot acquire
       a lock because it is already acquired by another thread, it can request
       to  block  if  and  only the lock is still acquired by using the lock's
       flag as futex word and expecting a value that represents  the  acquired
       state.   When  releasing the lock, a thread has to first reset the lock
       state to not acquired and then execute the futex operation  that  wakes
       one  thread blocked on the futex word that is the lock's flag (this can
       be be further optimized to avoid unnecessary wake-ups).   See  futex(7)
       for more detail on how to use futexes.

       Besides  the basic wait and wake-up futex functionality, there are fur‐
       ther futex operations aimed at supporting more complex use cases.  Also
       note  that  no  explicit initialization or destruction are necessary to
       use futexes; the kernel maintains a futex  (i.e.,  the  kernel-internal
       implementation  artifact)  only  while  operations  such as FUTEX_WAIT,
       described below, are being performed on a particular futex word.

   Arguments
       The uaddr argument points to the futex word.  On all platforms, futexes
       are  four-byte  integers  that must be aligned on a four-byte boundary.
       The operation to perform on the futex  is  specified  in  the  futex_op
       argument; val is a value whose meaning and purpose depends on futex_op.

       The  remaining  arguments (timeout, uaddr2, and val3) are required only
       for certain of the futex operations  described  below.   Where  one  of
       these arguments is not required, it is ignored.

       For several blocking operations, the timeout argument is a pointer to a
       timespec structure that specifies a timeout for  the  operation.   How‐
       ever,   notwithstanding the prototype shown above, for some operations,
       this argument is instead a four-byte integer whose  meaning  is  deter‐
       mined  by  the  operation.   For these operations, the kernel casts the
       timeout value to u32, and in the remainder of this page, this  argument
       is referred to as val2 when interpreted in this fashion.

       Where  it  is  required,  the  uaddr2 argument is a pointer to a second
       futex word that is employed by the operation.   The  interpretation  of
       the final integer argument, val3, depends on the operation.

   Futex operations
       The  futex_op  argument consists of two parts: a command that specifies
       the operation to be performed, bit-wise  ORed  with  zero  or  or  more
       options  that  modify the behaviour of the operation.  The options that
       may be included in futex_op are as follows:

       FUTEX_PRIVATE_FLAG (since Linux 2.6.22)
              This option bit can be employed with all futex  operations.   It
              tells  the  kernel  that  the  futex  is process-private and not
              shared with another process (i.e., it is  only  being  used  for
              synchronization  between  threads  of  the  same process).  This
              allows the kernel to choose the fast  path  for  validating  the
              user-space address and avoids expensive VMA lookups, taking ref‐
              erence counts on file backing store, and so on.

              As a convenience, <linux/futex.h> defines  a  set  of  constants
              with  the  suffix  _PRIVATE  that  are equivalents of all of the
              operations listed below, but with  the  FUTEX_PRIVATE_FLAG  ORed
              into  the  constant  value.  Thus, there are FUTEX_WAIT_PRIVATE,
              FUTEX_WAKE_PRIVATE, and so on.

       FUTEX_CLOCK_REALTIME (since Linux 2.6.28)
              This option bit can be employed only with the  FUTEX_WAIT_BITSET
              and FUTEX_WAIT_REQUEUE_PI operations.

              If  this option is set, the kernel treats timeout as an absolute
              time based on CLOCK_REALTIME.

              If this option is not set, the kernel treats timeout as relative
              time, measured against the CLOCK_MONOTONIC clock.

       The operation specified in futex_op is one of the following:

       FUTEX_WAIT (since Linux 2.6.0)
              This operation tests that the value at the futex word pointed to
              by the address uaddr still contains the expected value val,  and
              if  so,  then sleeps awaiting FUTEX_WAKE on the futex word.  The
              load of the value of the futex word is an atomic  memory  access
              (i.e.,  using  atomic  machine  instructions  of  the respective
              architecture).  This load,  the  comparison  with  the  expected
              value,  and  starting  to  sleep  are  performed  atomically and
              totally ordered with respect to other futex  operations  on  the
              same  futex  word.  If the thread starts to sleep, it is consid‐
              ered a waiter on this futex word.  If the futex value  does  not
              match  val,  then  the  call  fails  immediately  with the error
              EAGAIN.

              The purpose of the comparison with the expected value is to pre‐
              vent  lost  wake-ups: If another thread changed the value of the
              futex word after the calling thread decided to  block  based  on
              the  prior  value, and if the other thread executed a FUTEX_WAKE
              operation (or similar wake-up) after the value change and before
              this  FUTEX_WAIT  operation,  then  the  latter will observe the
              value change and will not start to sleep.

              If the timeout argument is non-NULL, its contents specify a rel‐
              ative   timeout   for   the  wait,  measured  according  to  the
              CLOCK_MONOTONIC clock.  (This interval will be rounded up to the
              system clock granularity, and kernel scheduling delays mean that
              the blocking interval may overrun by a small amount.)  If  time‐
              out is NULL, the call blocks indefinitely.

              The arguments uaddr2 and val3 are ignored.

       FUTEX_WAKE (since Linux 2.6.0)
              This operation wakes at most val of the waiters that are waiting
              (e.g., inside FUTEX_WAIT) on  the  futex  word  at  the  address
              uaddr.   Most  commonly, val is specified as either 1 (wake up a
              single waiter) or INT_MAX (wake up all waiters).   No  guarantee
              is  provided about which waiters are awoken (e.g., a waiter with
              a higher scheduling priority is not guaranteed to be  awoken  in
              preference to a waiter with a lower priority).

              The arguments timeout, uaddr2, and val3 are ignored.

       FUTEX_FD (from Linux 2.6.0 up to and including Linux 2.6.25)
              This operation creates a file descriptor that is associated with
              the futex at uaddr.  The caller must  close  the  returned  file
              descriptor after use.  When another process or thread performs a
              FUTEX_WAKE on the futex word, the file descriptor  indicates  as
              being readable with select(2), poll(2), and epoll(7)

              The file descriptor can be used to obtain asynchronous notifica‐
              tions: if val is nonzero, then when another  process  or  thread
              executes a FUTEX_WAKE, the caller will receive the signal number
              that was passed in val.

              The arguments timeout, uaddr2 and val3 are ignored.

              To prevent race conditions, the caller should test if the  futex
              has been upped after FUTEX_FD returns.

              Because  it  was inherently racy, FUTEX_FD has been removed from
              Linux 2.6.26 onward.

       FUTEX_REQUEUE (since Linux 2.6.0)
              Avoid using this operation.  It is broken for its intended  pur‐
              pose.  Use FUTEX_CMP_REQUEUE instead.

              This  operation  performs  the  same  task as FUTEX_CMP_REQUEUE,
              except that no check is made using  the  value  in  val3.   (The
              argument val3 is ignored.)

       FUTEX_CMP_REQUEUE (since Linux 2.6.7)
              This  operation  first  checks  whether the location uaddr still
              contains the value val3.  If not, the operation fails  with  the
              error  EAGAIN.   Otherwise,  the operation wakes up a maximum of
              val waiters that are waiting on the futex at  uaddr.   If  there
              are  more  than  val  waiters,  then  the  remaining waiters are
              removed from the wait queue of the source  futex  at  uaddr  and
              added to the wait queue of the target futex at uaddr2.  The val2
              argument specifies an upper limit on the number of waiters  that
              are requeued to the futex at uaddr2.

              The  load  from  uaddr  is  an atomic memory access (i.e., using
              atomic machine instructions  of  the  respective  architecture).
              This  load,  the comparison with val3, and the requeueing of any
              waiters  are  performed  atomically  and  totally  ordered  with
              respect to other operations on the same futex word.

              This  operation  was  added  as  a  replacement  for the earlier
              FUTEX_REQUEUE.  The difference is that the check of the value at
              uaddr  can  be used to ensure that requeueing only happens under
              certain conditions.  Both operations can  be  used  to  avoid  a
              "thundering  herd" effect when FUTEX_WAKE is used and all of the
              waiters that are woken need to acquire another futex.

              Typical values to specify for val are 0 or  or  1.   (Specifying
              INT_MAX   is   not   useful,   because   it   would   make   the
              FUTEX_CMP_REQUEUE  operation  equivalent  to  FUTEX_WAKE.)   The
              limit value specified via val2 is typically either 1 or INT_MAX.
              (Specifying the argument as 0 is not useful,  because  it  would
              make the FUTEX_CMP_REQUEUE operation equivalent to FUTEX_WAIT.)

       FUTEX_WAKE_OP (since Linux 2.6.14)
              This  operation  was  added to support some user-space use cases
              where more than one futex must be handled at the same time.  The
              most  notable example is the implementation of pthread_cond_sig‐
              nal(3), which requires operations on two futexes, the  one  used
              to implement the mutex and the one used in the implementation of
              the  wait  queue  associated  with   the   condition   variable.
              FUTEX_WAKE_OP  allows such cases to be implemented without lead‐
              ing to high rates of contention and context switching.

              The FUTEX_WAIT_OP operation is equivalent to execute the follow‐
              ing  code  atomically  and totally ordered with respect to other
              futex operations on any of the two supplied futex words:

                  int oldval = *(int *) uaddr2;
                  *(int *) uaddr2 = oldval op oparg;
                  futex(uaddr, FUTEX_WAKE, val, 0, 0, 0);
                  if (oldval cmp cmparg)
                      futex(uaddr2, FUTEX_WAKE, val2, 0, 0, 0);

              In other words, FUTEX_WAIT_OP does the following:

              *  saves the original value of the futex word at uaddr2 and per‐
                 forms  an  operation  to  modify  the  value  of the futex at
                 uaddr2; this is an  atomic  read-modify-write  memory  access
                 (i.e.,  using  atomic  machine instructions of the respective
                 architecture)

              *  wakes up a maximum of val waiters on the futex for the  futex
                 word at uaddr; and

              *  dependent  on  the results of a test of the original value of
                 the futex word at uaddr2, wakes up a maximum of val2  waiters
                 on the futex for the futex word at uaddr2.

              The  operation  and  comparison  that  are  to  be performed are
              encoded in the bits of  the  argument  val3.   Pictorially,  the
              encoding is:

                      +---+---+-----------+-----------+
                      |op |cmp|   oparg   |  cmparg   |
                      +---+---+-----------+-----------+
                        4   4       12          12    <== # of bits

              Expressed in code, the encoding is:

                  #define FUTEX_OP(op, oparg, cmp, cmparg) \
                                  (((op & 0xf) << 28) | \
                                  ((cmp & 0xf) << 24) | \
                                  ((oparg & 0xfff) << 12) | \
                                  (cmparg & 0xfff))

              In the above, op and cmp are each one of the codes listed below.
              The oparg and cmparg  components  are  literal  numeric  values,
              except as noted below.

              The op component has one of the following values:

                  FUTEX_OP_SET        0  /* uaddr2 = oparg; */
                  FUTEX_OP_ADD        1  /* uaddr2 += oparg; */
                  FUTEX_OP_OR         2  /* uaddr2 |= oparg; */
                  FUTEX_OP_ANDN       3  /* uaddr2 &= ~oparg; */
                  FUTEX_OP_XOR        4  /* uaddr2 ^= oparg; */

              In  addition,  bit-wise ORing the following value into op causes
              (1 << oparg) to be used as the operand:

                  FUTEX_OP_ARG_SHIFT  8  /* Use (1 << oparg) as operand */

              The cmp field is one of the following:

                  FUTEX_OP_CMP_EQ     0  /* if (oldval == cmparg) wake */
                  FUTEX_OP_CMP_NE     1  /* if (oldval != cmparg) wake */
                  FUTEX_OP_CMP_LT     2  /* if (oldval < cmparg) wake */
                  FUTEX_OP_CMP_LE     3  /* if (oldval <= cmparg) wake */
                  FUTEX_OP_CMP_GT     4  /* if (oldval > cmparg) wake */
                  FUTEX_OP_CMP_GE     5  /* if (oldval >= cmparg) wake */

              The return value of FUTEX_WAKE_OP is the sum of  the  number  of
              waiters  woken  on  the  futex  uaddr plus the number of waiters
              woken on the futex uaddr2.

       FUTEX_WAIT_BITSET (since Linux 2.6.25)
              This operation is like FUTEX_WAIT except that val3  is  used  to
              provide a 32-bit bitset to the kernel.  This bitset is stored in
              the kernel-internal state of the waiter.  See the description of
              FUTEX_WAKE_BITSET for further details.

              The  FUTEX_WAIT_BITSET  operation  also  interprets  the timeout
              argument differently from FUTEX_WAIT.   See  the  discussion  of
              FUTEX_CLOCK_REALTIME, above.

              The uaddr2 argument is ignored.

       FUTEX_WAKE_BITSET (since Linux 2.6.25)
              This  operation  is  the same as FUTEX_WAKE except that the val3
              argument is used to provide a 32-bit bitset to the kernel.  This
              bitset  is used to select which waiters should be woken up.  The
              selection is done by a bit-wise AND of the "wake" bitset  (i.e.,
              the value in val3) and the bitset which is stored in the kernel-
              internal state of the waiter (the  "wait"  bitset  that  is  set
              using  FUTEX_WAIT_BITSET).   All  of  the  waiters for which the
              result of the AND is nonzero are woken up; the remaining waiters
              are left sleeping.

              The  effect  of  FUTEX_WAIT_BITSET  and  FUTEX_WAKE_BITSET is to
              allow selective wake-ups among multiple waiters that are blocked
              on the same futex.  Note, however, that using this bitset multi‐
              plexing feature on a futex is less efficient than  simply  using
              multiple futexes, because employing bitset multiplexing requires
              the kernel to check all waiters on a futex, including those that
              are not interested in being woken up (i.e., they do not have the
              relevant bit set in their "wait" bitset).

              The uaddr2 and timeout arguments are ignored.

              The  FUTEX_WAIT  and   FUTEX_WAKE   operations   correspond   to
              FUTEX_WAIT_BITSET  and  FUTEX_WAKE_BITSET  operations  where the
              bitsets are all ones.

   Priority-inheritance futexes
       Linux supports priority-inheritance (PI) futexes  in  order  to  handle
       priority-inversion  problems  that can be encountered with normal futex
       locks.  Priority inversion is the problem that occurs when a  high-pri‐
       ority  task is blocked waiting to acquire a lock held by a low-priority
       task, while tasks at an intermediate priority continuously preempt  the
       low-priority  task  from  the CPU.  Consequently, the low-priority task
       makes no progress toward releasing the lock, and the high-priority task
       remains blocked.

       Priority  inheritance  is  a  mechanism  for dealing with the priority-
       inversion problem.  With this  mechanism,  when  a  high-priority  task
       becomes  blocked  by  a  lock held by a low-priority task, the latter's
       priority is temporarily raised to that of the former, so that it is not
       preempted  by  any intermediate level tasks, and can thus make progress
       toward releasing the lock.  To be effective, priority inheritance  must
       be  transitive,  meaning  that if a high-priority task blocks on a lock
       held by a lower-priority task that is itself blocked by  lock  held  by
       another  intermediate-priority task (and so on, for chains of arbitrary
       length), then both of those task (or more generally, all of  the  tasks
       in  a  lock  chain)  have their priorities raised to be the same as the
       high-priority task.

       From a user-space perspective, what makes a futex PI-aware is a  policy
       agreement  between  user  space  and  the kernel about the value of the
       futex word (described in a moment), coupled with  the  use  of  the  PI
       futex   operations   described  below  (in  particular,  FUTEX_LOCK_PI,
       FUTEX_TRYLOCK_PI, and FUTEX_CMP_REQUEUE_PI).

       The PI futex operations described below differ  from  the  other  futex
       operations  in  that  they impose policy on the use of the value of the
       futex word:

       *  If the lock is not acquired, the futex word's value shall be 0.

       *  If the lock is acquired, the futex word's value shall be the  thread
          ID (TID; see gettid(2)) of the owning thread.

       *  If  the lock is owned and there are threads contending for the lock,
          then the FUTEX_WAITERS bit shall be set in the futex  word's  value;
          in other words, this value is:

              FUTEX_WAITERS | TID

       Note that a PI futex word never just has the value FUTEX_WAITERS, which
       is a permissible state for non-PI futexes.

       With this policy in place, a user-space application can acquire a  not-
       acquired  lock  or  release a lock that no other threads try to acquire
       using atomic instructions executed in user space (e.g., a  compare-and-
       swap  operation  such as cmpxchg on the x86 architecture).  Acquiring a
       lock simply consists of using compare-and-swap to  atomically  set  the
       futex  word's  value  to  the caller's TID if its previous value was 0.
       Releasing a lock requires  using  compare-and-swap  to  set  the  futex
       word's value to 0 if the previous value was the expected TID.

       If  a  futex  is  already acquired (i.e., has a nonzero value), waiters
       must employ the FUTEX_LOCK_PI operation to acquire the lock.  If  other
       threads  are waiting for the lock, then the FUTEX_WAITERS bit is set in
       the futex  value;  in  this  case,  the  lock  owner  must  employ  the
       FUTEX_UNLOCK_PI operation to release the lock.

       In  the  cases where callers are forced into the kernel (i.e., required
       to perform a futex() operation), they then deal  directly  with  a  so-
       called  RT-mutex,  a  kernel  locking  mechanism  which  implements the
       required  priority-inheritance  semantics.   After  the   RT-mutex   is
       acquired,  the  futex  value is updated accordingly, before the calling
       thread returns to user space.

       It is important to note that the kernel will update  the  futex  word's
       value  prior to returning to user space.  Unlike the other futex opera‐
       tions described above, the PI futex operations  are  designed  for  the
       implementation of very specific IPC mechanisms.

       PI futexes are operated on by specifying one of the following values in
       futex_op:

       FUTEX_LOCK_PI (since Linux 2.6.18)
              This operation is used after after an  attempt  to  acquire  the
              lock  via  an  atomic  user-space instruction failed because the
              futex word has a nonzero  value—specifically,  because  it  con‐
              tained the namespace-specific TID of the lock owner.

              The  operation checks the value of the futex word at the address
              uaddr.  If the value is 0, then the kernel tries  to  atomically
              set  the futex value to the caller's TID.  If that fails, or the
              futex word's value is nonzero, the kernel  atomically  sets  the
              FUTEX_WAITERS  bit, which signals the futex owner that it cannot
              unlock the futex in user space atomically by setting  the  futex
              value  to  0.   After  that, the kernel tries to find the thread
              which is associated with the owner TID, creates or reuses kernel
              state on behalf of the owner and attaches the waiter to it.  The
              enqueueing of the waiter is in descending priority order if more
              than  one waiter exists.  The owner inherits either the priority
              or the bandwidth of the waiter.  This  inheritance  follows  the
              lock  chain  in the case of nested locking and performs deadlock
              detection.

              The timeout argument provides a timeout for  the  lock  attempt.
              It  is  interpreted  as  an  absolute time, measured against the
              CLOCK_REALTIME clock.  If timeout is NULL,  the  operation  will
              block indefinitely.

              The uaddr2, val, and val3 arguments are ignored.

       FUTEX_TRYLOCK_PI (since Linux 2.6.18)
              This  operation  tries  to acquire the futex at uaddr.  It deals
              with the situation where the TID value at uaddr is  0,  but  the
              FUTEX_WAITERS  bit is set.  User space cannot handle this condi‐
              tion in a race-free manner

              The uaddr2, val, timeout, and val3 arguments are ignored.

       FUTEX_UNLOCK_PI (since Linux 2.6.18)
              This operation wakes the top priority waiter that is waiting  in
              FUTEX_LOCK_PI  on  the futex address provided by the uaddr argu‐
              ment.

              This is called when the user space  value  at  uaddr  cannot  be
              changed atomically from a TID (of the owner) to 0.

              The uaddr2, val, timeout, and val3 arguments are ignored.

       FUTEX_CMP_REQUEUE_PI (since Linux 2.6.31)
              This  operation  is a PI-aware variant of FUTEX_CMP_REQUEUE.  It
              requeues waiters that are blocked via  FUTEX_WAIT_REQUEUE_PI  on
              uaddr  from  a  non-PI source futex (uaddr) to a PI target futex
              (uaddr2).

              As with FUTEX_CMP_REQUEUE, this operation wakes up a maximum  of
              val  waiters  that  are waiting on the futex at uaddr.  However,
              for FUTEX_CMP_REQUEUE_PI, val is required to  be  1  (since  the
              main  point is to avoid a thundering herd).  The remaining wait‐
              ers are removed from the wait queue of the source futex at uaddr
              and added to the wait queue of the target futex at uaddr2.

              The  val2  and  val3  arguments  serve  the same purposes as for
              FUTEX_CMP_REQUEUE.

       FUTEX_WAIT_REQUEUE_PI (since Linux 2.6.31)
              Wait operation to wait on a non-PI futex  at  uaddr  and  poten‐
              tially  be  requeued onto a PI futex at uaddr2.  The wait opera‐
              tion on uaddr is the same as  FUTEX_WAIT.   The  waiter  can  be
              removed from the wait on uaddr via FUTEX_WAKE without requeueing
              on uaddr2.

              If timeout is not NULL, it specifies  a  timeout  for  the  wait
              operation;  this timeout is interpreted as outlined above in the
              description of the FUTEX_CLOCK_REALTIME option.  If  timeout  is
              NULL, the operation can block indefinitely.

              The val3 argument is ignored.

              The FUTEX_WAIT_REQUEUE_PI and FUTEX_CMP_REQUEUE_PI were added to
              support a fairly specific use case: support for priority-inheri‐
              tance-aware POSIX threads condition variables.  The idea is that
              these operations should always be paired,  in  order  to  ensure
              that  user  space  and  the kernel remain in sync.  Thus, in the
              FUTEX_WAIT_REQUEUE_PI operation, the user-space application pre-
              specifies  the  target  of  the  requeue that takes place in the
              FUTEX_CMP_REQUEUE_PI operation.

RETURN VALUE
       In the event of an error, all operations return -1  and  set  errno  to
       indicate  the  cause of the error.  The return value on success depends
       on the operation, as described in the following list:

       FUTEX_WAIT
              Returns 0 if the caller was woken up.  Note that a  wake-up  can
              also  be caused by common futex usage patterns in unrelated code
              that happened to have previously used the  futex  word's  memory
              location  (e.g., typical futex-based implementations of Pthreads
              mutexes can cause this under some conditions).  Therefore, call‐
              ers should always conservatively assume that a return value of 0
              can mean a spurious wake-up, and  use  the  futex  word's  value
              (i.e., the user space synchronization scheme)
                  to decide whether to continue to block or not.

       FUTEX_WAKE
              Returns the number of waiters that were woken up.

       FUTEX_FD
              Returns the new file descriptor associated with the futex.

       FUTEX_REQUEUE
              Returns the number of waiters that were woken up.

       FUTEX_CMP_REQUEUE
              Returns  the  total  number  of  waiters  that  were woken up or
              requeued to the futex for the futex word  at  uaddr2.   If  this
              value  is  greater  than  val,  then difference is the number of
              waiters requeued to the futex for the futex word at uaddr2.

       FUTEX_WAKE_OP
              Returns the total number of waiters that were woken up.  This is
              the  sum  of  the woken waiters on the two futexes for the futex
              words at uaddr and uaddr2.

       FUTEX_WAIT_BITSET
              Returns 0 if the caller was woken up.  See FUTEX_WAIT for how to
              interpret this correctly in practice.

       FUTEX_WAKE_BITSET
              Returns the number of waiters that were woken up.

       FUTEX_LOCK_PI
              Returns 0 if the futex was successfully locked.

       FUTEX_TRYLOCK_PI
              Returns 0 if the futex was successfully locked.

       FUTEX_UNLOCK_PI
              Returns 0 if the futex was successfully unlocked.

       FUTEX_CMP_REQUEUE_PI
              Returns  the  total  number  of  waiters  that  were woken up or
              requeued to the futex for the futex word  at  uaddr2.   If  this
              value  is  greater  than  val,  then difference is the number of
              waiters requeued to the futex for the futex word at uaddr2.

       FUTEX_WAIT_REQUEUE_PI
              Returns 0 if the caller was successfully requeued to  the  futex
              for the futex word at uaddr2.

ERRORS
       EACCES No read access to the memory of a futex word.

       EAGAIN (FUTEX_WAIT, FUTEX_WAIT_BITSET, FUTEX_WAIT_REQUEUE_PI) The value
              pointed to by uaddr was not equal to the expected value  val  at
              the time of the call.

              Note:  on Linux, the symbolic names EAGAIN and EWOULDBLOCK (both
              of which appear in different parts of  the  kernel  futex  code)
              have the same value.

       EAGAIN (FUTEX_CMP_REQUEUE,  FUTEX_CMP_REQUEUE_PI)  The value pointed to
              by uaddr is not equal to the expected value val3.  (This  proba‐
              bly indicates a race; use the safe FUTEX_WAKE now.)

       EAGAIN (FUTEX_LOCK_PI,   FUTEX_TRYLOCK_PI,   FUTEX_CMP_REQUEUE_PI)  The
              futex  owner  thread  ID  of  uaddr  (for  FUTEX_CMP_REQUEUE_PI:
              uaddr2)  is  about to exit, but has not yet handled the internal
              state cleanup.  Try again.

       EDEADLK
              (FUTEX_LOCK_PI,  FUTEX_TRYLOCK_PI,   FUTEX_CMP_REQUEUE_PI)   The
              futex word at uaddr is already locked by the caller.

       EDEADLK
              (FUTEX_CMP_REQUEUE_PI) While requeueing a waiter to the PI futex
              for the futex word at uaddr2, the kernel detected a deadlock.

       EFAULT A required pointer argument (i.e., uaddr,  uaddr2,  or  timeout)
              did not point to a valid user-space address.

       EINTR  A FUTEX_WAIT or FUTEX_WAIT_BITSET operation was interrupted by a
              signal (see signal(7)).  In kernels before  Linux  2.6.22,  this
              error  could  also  be  returned for on a spurious wakeup; since
              Linux 2.6.22, this no longer happens.

       EINVAL The operation in futex_op is one of those that employs  a  time‐
              out,  but  the supplied timeout argument was invalid (tv_sec was
              less than zero, or tv_nsec was not less than 1000,000,000).

       EINVAL The operation specified in futex_op employs one or both  of  the
              pointers  uaddr and uaddr2, but one of these does not point to a
              valid object—that is, the address is not four-byte-aligned.

       EINVAL (FUTEX_WAIT_BITSET, FUTEX_WAKE_BITSET) The  bitset  supplied  in
              val3 is zero.

       EINVAL (FUTEX_CMP_REQUEUE_PI) uaddr equals uaddr2 (i.e., an attempt was
              made to requeue to the same futex).

       EINVAL (FUTEX_FD) The signal number supplied in val is invalid.

       EINVAL (FUTEX_WAKE,  FUTEX_WAKE_OP,  FUTEX_WAKE_BITSET,  FUTEX_REQUEUE,
              FUTEX_CMP_REQUEUE)  The kernel detected an inconsistency between
              the user-space state at uaddr and the kernel state—that  is,  it
              detected a waiter which waits in FUTEX_LOCK_PI on uaddr.

       EINVAL (FUTEX_LOCK_PI,  FUTEX_TRYLOCK_PI,  FUTEX_UNLOCK_PI)  The kernel
              detected an inconsistency between the user-space state at  uaddr
              and the kernel state.  This indicates either state corruption or
              that the kernel found a waiter on uaddr  which  is  waiting  via
              FUTEX_WAIT or FUTEX_WAIT_BITSET.

       EINVAL (FUTEX_CMP_REQUEUE_PI)  The  kernel  detected  an  inconsistency
              between the user-space state at uaddr2  and  the  kernel  state;
              that is, the kernel detected a waiter which waits via FUTEX_WAIT
              on uaddr2.

       EINVAL (FUTEX_CMP_REQUEUE_PI)  The  kernel  detected  an  inconsistency
              between the user-space state at uaddr and the kernel state; that
              is, the kernel detected a waiter which waits via  FUTEX_WAIT  or
              FUTEX_WAIT_BITESET on uaddr.

       EINVAL (FUTEX_CMP_REQUEUE_PI)  The  kernel  detected  an  inconsistency
              between the user-space state at uaddr and the kernel state; that
              is,  the  kernel  detected  a  waiter  which  waits on uaddr via
              FUTEX_LOCK_PI (instead of FUTEX_WAIT_REQUEUE_PI).

       EINVAL (FUTEX_CMP_REQUEUE_PI) An attempt was made to requeue  a  waiter
              to   a   futex   other  than  that  specified  by  the  matching
              FUTEX_WAIT_REQUEUE_PI call for that waiter.

       EINVAL (FUTEX_CMP_REQUEUE_PI) The val argument is not 1.

       EINVAL Invalid argument.

       ENOMEM (FUTEX_LOCK_PI, FUTEX_TRYLOCK_PI, FUTEX_CMP_REQUEUE_PI) The ker‐
              nel could not allocate memory to hold state information.

       ENFILE (FUTEX_FD)  The  system  limit on the total number of open files
              has been reached.

       ENOSYS Invalid operation specified in futex_op.

       ENOSYS The FUTEX_CLOCK_REALTIME option was specified in  futex_op,  but
              the  accompanying  operation  was  neither FUTEX_WAIT_BITSET nor
              FUTEX_WAIT_REQUEUE_PI.

       ENOSYS (FUTEX_LOCK_PI,        FUTEX_TRYLOCK_PI,        FUTEX_UNLOCK_PI,
              FUTEX_CMP_REQUEUE_PI,  FUTEX_WAIT_REQUEUE_PI)  A  run-time check
              determined that the operation is not available.   The  PI  futex
              operations  are not implemented on all architectures and are not
              supported on some CPU variants.

       EPERM  (FUTEX_LOCK_PI,  FUTEX_TRYLOCK_PI,   FUTEX_CMP_REQUEUE_PI)   The
              caller  is  not  allowed  to attach itself to the futex at uaddr
              (for FUTEX_CMP_REQUEUE_PI: the futex at uaddr2).  (This  may  be
              caused by a state corruption in user space.)

       EPERM  (FUTEX_UNLOCK_PI)  The  caller does not own the lock represented
              by the futex word.

       ESRCH  (FUTEX_LOCK_PI,  FUTEX_TRYLOCK_PI,   FUTEX_CMP_REQUEUE_PI)   The
              thread ID in the futex word at uaddr does not exist.

       ESRCH  (FUTEX_CMP_REQUEUE_PI) The thread ID in the futex word at uaddr2
              does not exist.

       ETIMEDOUT
              The operation in futex_op  employed  the  timeout  specified  in
              timeout, and the timeout expired before the operation completed.

VERSIONS
       Futexes were first made available in a stable kernel release with Linux
       2.6.0.

       Initial futex support was merged in  Linux  2.5.7  but  with  different
       semantics  from  what was described above.  A four-argument system call
       with the semantics described in  this  page  was  introduced  in  Linux
       2.5.40.   In  Linux  2.5.70, one argument was added.  In Linux 2.6.7, a
       sixth argument was added—messy, especially on the s390 architecture.

CONFORMING TO
       This system call is Linux-specific.

NOTES
       Glibc does not provide a wrapper for this system call;  call  it  using
       syscall(2).

EXAMPLE
       The program below demonstrates use of futexes in a program where parent
       and child use a pair of futexes located inside a shared anonymous  map‐
       ping to synchronize access to a shared resource: the terminal.  The two
       processes each write nloops (a command-line argument that defaults to 5
       if  omitted) messages to the terminal and employ a synchronization pro‐
       tocol that ensures that they alternate in writing messages.  Upon  run‐
       ning this program we see output such as the following:

           $ ./futex_demo
           Parent (18534) 0
           Child  (18535) 0
           Parent (18534) 1
           Child  (18535) 1
           Parent (18534) 2
           Child  (18535) 2
           Parent (18534) 3
           Child  (18535) 3
           Parent (18534) 4
           Child  (18535) 4

   Program source

       /* futex_demo.c

          Usage: futex_demo [nloops]
                           (Default: 5)

          Demonstrate the use of futexes in a program where parent and child
          use a pair of futexes located inside a shared anonymous mapping to
          synchronize access to a shared resource: the terminal. The two
          processes each write 'num-loops' messages to the terminal and employ
          a synchronization protocol that ensures that they alternate in
          writing messages.
       */
       #define _GNU_SOURCE
       #include <stdio.h>
       #include <errno.h>
       #include <stdlib.h>
       #include <unistd.h>
       #include <sys/wait.h>
       #include <sys/mman.h>
       #include <sys/syscall.h>
       #include <linux/futex.h>
       #include <sys/time.h>

       #define errExit(msg)    do { perror(msg); exit(EXIT_FAILURE); \
                               } while (0)

       static int *futex1, *futex2, *iaddr;

       static int
       futex(int *uaddr, int futex_op, int val,
             const struct timespec *timeout, int *uaddr2, int val3)
       {
           return syscall(SYS_futex, uaddr, futex_op, val,
                          timeout, uaddr, val3);
       }

       /* Acquire the futex pointed to by 'futexp': wait for its value to
          become 1, and then set the value to 0. */

       static void
       fwait(int *futexp)
       {
           int s;

           /* __sync_bool_compare_and_swap(ptr, oldval, newval) is a gcc
              built-in function.  It atomically performs the equivalent of:

                  if (*ptr == oldval)
                      *ptr = newval;

              It returns true if the test yielded true and *ptr was updated.
              The alternative here would be to employ the equivalent atomic
              machine-language instructions.  For further information, see
              the GCC Manual. */

           while (1) {

               /* Is the futex available? */

               if (__sync_bool_compare_and_swap(futexp, 1, 0))
                   break;      /* Yes */

               /* Futex is not available; wait */

               s = futex(futexp, FUTEX_WAIT, 0, NULL, NULL, 0);
               if (s == -1 && errno != EAGAIN)
                   errExit("futex-FUTEX_WAIT");
           }
       }

       /* Release the futex pointed to by 'futexp': if the futex currently
          has the value 0, set its value to 1 and the wake any futex waiters,
          so that if the peer is blocked in fpost(), it can proceed. */

       static void
       fpost(int *futexp)
       {
           int s;

           /* __sync_bool_compare_and_swap() was described in comments above */

           if (__sync_bool_compare_and_swap(futexp, 0, 1)) {

               s = futex(futexp, FUTEX_WAKE, 1, NULL, NULL, 0);
               if (s  == -1)
                   errExit("futex-FUTEX_WAKE");
           }
       }

       int
       main(int argc, char *argv[])
       {
           pid_t childPid;
           int j, nloops;

           setbuf(stdout, NULL);

           nloops = (argc > 1) ? atoi(argv[1]) : 5;

           /* Create a shared anonymous mapping that will hold the futexes.
              Since the futexes are being shared between processes, we
              subsequently use the "shared" futex operations (i.e., not the
              ones suffixed "_PRIVATE") */

           iaddr = mmap(NULL, sizeof(int) * 2, PROT_READ | PROT_WRITE,
                       MAP_ANONYMOUS | MAP_SHARED, -1, 0);
           if (iaddr == MAP_FAILED)
               errExit("mmap");

           futex1 = &iaddr[0];
           futex2 = &iaddr[1];

           *futex1 = 0;        /* State: unavailable */
           *futex2 = 1;        /* State: available */

           /* Create a child process that inherits the shared anonymous
              mapping */

           childPid = fork();
           if (childPid == -1)
               errExit("fork");

           if (childPid == 0) {        /* Child */
               for (j = 0; j < nloops; j++) {
                   fwait(futex1);
                   printf("Child  (%ld) %d\n", (long) getpid(), j);
                   fpost(futex2);
               }

               exit(EXIT_SUCCESS);
           }

           /* Parent falls through to here */

           for (j = 0; j < nloops; j++) {
               fwait(futex2);
               printf("Parent (%ld) %d\n", (long) getpid(), j);
               fpost(futex1);
           }

           wait(NULL);

           exit(EXIT_SUCCESS);
       }

SEE ALSO
       get_robust_list(2), restart_syscall(2), futex(7)

       The following kernel source files:

       * Documentation/pi-futex.txt

       * Documentation/futex-requeue-pi.txt

       * Documentation/locking/rt-mutex.txt

       * Documentation/locking/rt-mutex-design.txt

       * Documentation/robust-futex-ABI.txt

       Franke, H., Russell, R., and Kirwood, M., 2002.  Fuss, Futexes and Fur‐
       wocks: Fast Userlevel Locking in Linux (from proceedings of the Ottawa
       Linux Symposium 2002),
       ⟨http://kernel.org/doc/ols/2002/ols2002-pages-479-495.pdf⟩

       Hart, D., 2009. A futex overview and update,
       ⟨http://lwn.net/Articles/360699/⟩

       Hart, D. and Guniguntala, D., 2009.  Requeue-PI: Making Glibc Condvars
       PI-Aware (from proceedings of the 2009 Real-Time Linux Workshop),
       ⟨http://lwn.net/images/conf/rtlws11/papers/proc/p10.pdf⟩

       Drepper, U., 2011. Futexes Are Tricky,
       ⟨http://www.akkadia.org/drepper/futex.pdf⟩

       Futex example library, futex-*.tar.bz2 at
       ⟨ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/rusty/⟩

Linux                             2014-05-21                          FUTEX(2)