Date:	Sun, 21 Jun 2015 23:00:54 +0200
From:	Lukasz Stelmach <stlman@...zta.fm>
To:	Stefan Richter <stefanr@...6.in-berlin.de>,
	linux1394-devel@...ts.sourceforge.net,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: [BUG] ohci_enable() fails during resume

Hi,

A bit, suddenly by desktop PC started to fail to resume. I have
redirected the console to ttyS0 and managed to caputere the oops
(attached). I am not a dissassebling expert and I have built my
kernel without full debuging symbold but here is what I found
(at least for the first trace in the attached oops.txt).

The failing code is somewhere around line 2400 of
drivers/firewire/ohci.c (the latest mainline). There is a note
about some values beeing NULL during the resume process but it
appears there are more NULLs then expected.

(%rbx) points to ohci structure.

I attach:

oops.txt - full dump of oops from console.

oops_code.txt - disassembled Code from the oops.

ohci_enable_disassembled.txt - dissassembled ohci_enable function
from my kernel (gentoo v3.18.8, but as far as I can tell there
haven't been much changes around).

I have marked the failing instruction in the disassembler dumps
with "-->".

There are two conditinons I *suspect* being responsible for this
situation.

Hardware failure. There was a storm a week ago recently which might
damaged the hardware. It appears it hit my SB Audigy very slightly
(the card's PCI interface appears OK but the AC97 codec is glitching
when setting mixer registers)

Hardware bug in the on-board firewire controller *and* a bug in the
driver. The code around the line 2400 appears to handle multiple
firewire ports (if I recognise variable names correctly, e.g.
next_config_rom). Now, without the SB card, I've got only one
firewire port so this is what has changed.

Please tell me how can I help more to debug this problem. (I may
have some problems using the firewire port because I don't have any
firewire devices)

Kind regards,
--
Było mi bardzo miło.                   Twoje oczy lubią mnie
>Łukasz<                                     i to mnie zgubi  (c)SNL

View attachment "oops.txt" of type "text/plain" (14851 bytes)

View attachment "oops_code.txt" of type "text/plain" (953 bytes)

View attachment "ohci_enable_disassembled.txt" of type "text/plain" (16822 bytes)

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (474 bytes)