Date:	Wed, 24 Jun 2015 23:26:49 +0100 (BST)
From:	Mark Hills <mark@...x.org>
To:	Vlastimil Babka <vbabka@...e.cz>
cc:	linux-mm@...ck.org, Michal Hocko <mhocko@...e.cz>,
	Mel Gorman <mgorman@...e.de>,
	Johannes Weiner <hannes@...xchg.org>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Write throughput impaired by touching dirty_ratio

On Wed, 24 Jun 2015, Vlastimil Babka wrote:

> [add some CC's]
>
> On 06/19/2015 05:16 PM, Mark Hills wrote:
> > I noticed that any change to vm.dirty_ratio causes write throuput to
> > plummet -- to around 5Mbyte/sec.
> >
> >   <system bootup, kernel 4.0.5>
> >
> >   # dd if=/dev/zero of=/path/to/file bs=1M
> >
> >   # sysctl vm.dirty_ratio
> >   vm.dirty_ratio = 20
> >   <all ok; writes at ~150Mbyte/sec>
> >
> >   # sysctl vm.dirty_ratio=20
> >   <all continues to be ok>
> >
> >   # sysctl vm.dirty_ratio=21
> >   <writes drop to ~5Mbyte/sec>
> >
> >   # sysctl vm.dirty_ratio=20
> >   <writes continue to be slow at ~5Mbyte/sec>
> >
> > The test shows that return to the previous value does not restore the old
> > behaviour. I return the system to usable state with a reboot.
> >
> > Reads continue to be fast and are not affected.
> >
> > A quick look at the code suggests differing behaviour from
> > writeback_set_ratelimit on startup. And that some of the calculations (eg.
> > global_dirty_limit) is badly behaved once the system has booted.
>
> Hmm, so the only thing that dirty_ratio_handler() changes except the
> vm_dirty_ratio itself, is ratelimit_pages through writeback_set_ratelimit(). So
> I assume the problem is with ratelimit_pages. There's num_online_cpus() used in
> the calculation, which I think would differ between the initial system state
> (where we are called by page_writeback_init()) and later when all CPU's are
> onlined. But I don't see CPU onlining code updating the limit (unlike memory
> hotplug which does that), so that's suspicious.
>
> Another suspicious thing is that global_dirty_limits() looks at current
> process's flag. It seems odd to me that the process calling the sysctl would
> determine a value global to the system.

Yes, I also spotted this. The fragment of code is:

  	tsk = current;
	if (tsk->flags & PF_LESS_THROTTLE || rt_task(tsk)) {
		background += background / 4;
		dirty += dirty / 4;
	}

It seems to imply the code was not always used from the /proc interface.
It's relevant in a moment...

> If you are brave enough (and have kernel configured properly and with
> debuginfo),

I'm brave... :) I hadn't seen this tool before, thanks for introducing me
to it, I will use it more now, I'm sure.

> you can verify how value of ratelimit_pages variable changes on the live
> system, using the crash tool. Just start it, and if everything works,
> you can inspect the live system. It's a bit complicated since there are
> two static variables called "ratelimit_pages" in the kernel so we can't
> print them easily (or I don't know how). First we have to get the
> variable address:
>
> crash> sym ratelimit_pages
> ffffffff81e67200 (d) ratelimit_pages
> ffffffff81ef4638 (d) ratelimit_pages
>
> One will be absurdly high (probably less on your 32bit) so it's not the one we want:
>
> crash> rd -d ffffffff81ef4638 1
> ffffffff81ef4638:    4294967328768
>
> The second will have a smaller value:
> (my system after boot with dirty ratio = 20)
> crash> rd -d ffffffff81e67200 1
> ffffffff81e67200:             1577
>
> (after changing to 21)
> crash> rd -d ffffffff81e67200 1
> ffffffff81e67200:             1570
>
> (after changing back to 20)
> crash> rd -d ffffffff81e67200 1
> ffffffff81e67200:             1496

In my case there's only one such symbol (perhaps because this kernel
config is quite slimmed down?)

  crash> sym ratelimit_pages
  c148b618 (d) ratelimit_pages

  (bootup with dirty_ratio 20)
  crash> rd -d ratelimit_pages
  c148b618:            78

  (after changing to 21)
  crash> rd -d ratelimit_pages
  c148b618:            16

  (after changing back to 20)
  crash> rd -d ratelimit_pages
  c148b618:            16

Compared to your system, even the bootup value seems pretty low.

So I am new to this code, but I took a look. Seems like we're basically
hitting the lower bound of 16.

  void writeback_set_ratelimit(void)
  {
	unsigned long background_thresh;
	unsigned long dirty_thresh;
	global_dirty_limits(&background_thresh, &dirty_thresh);
	global_dirty_limit = dirty_thresh;
	ratelimit_pages = dirty_thresh / (num_online_cpus() * 32);
	if (ratelimit_pages < 16)
		ratelimit_pages = 16;
  }

>From this code, we don't have dirty_thresh preserved, but we do have
global_dirty_limit:

  crash> rd -d global_dirty_limit
  c1545080:             0

And if that is zero then:

  ratelimit_pages = 0 / (num_online_cpus() * 32)
                  = 0

So it seems like this is the path to follow.

The function global_dirty_limits() produces the value for dirty_thresh
and, aside from a potential multiply by 0.25 (the 'task dependent'
mentioned before) the value is derived as:

  if (vm_dirty_bytes)
	dirty = DIV_ROUND_UP(vm_dirty_bytes, PAGE_SIZE);
  else
	dirty = (vm_dirty_ratio * available_memory) / 100;

I checked the vm_dirty_bytes codepath and that works:

  (vm.dirty_bytes = 1048576000, 1000Mb)
  crash> rd -d ratelimit_pages
  c148b618:           1000

Therefore it's the 'else' case, and this points to available_memory is
zero, or near it (in my case < 5). This value is the direct result of
global_dirtyable_memory(), which I've annotated with some values:

  static unsigned long global_dirtyable_memory(void)
  {
	unsigned long x;

	x = global_page_state(NR_FREE_PAGES);      //   2648091
	x -= min(x, dirty_balance_reserve);        //  - 175522

	x += global_page_state(NR_INACTIVE_FILE);  //  + 156369
	x += global_page_state(NR_ACTIVE_FILE);    //  +   3475  = 2632413

	if (!vm_highmem_is_dirtyable)
		x -= highmem_dirtyable_memory(x);

	return x + 1;	/* Ensure that we never return 0 */
  }

If I'm correct here, global includes the highmem stuff, and it implies
that highmem_dirtyable_memory() is returning a value only slightly less
than or equal to the sum of the others.

To test, I flipped the vm_highmem_is_dirtyable (which had no effect until
I forced it to re-evaluate ratelimit_pages):

  $ echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/highmem_is_dirtyable
  $ echo 21 > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_ratio
  $ echo 20 > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_ratio

  crash> rd -d ratelimit_pages
  c148b618:          2186

The value is now healthy, more so than even the value we started
with on bootup.

My questions and observations are:

* What does highmem_is_dirtyable actually mean, and should it really
  default to 1?

  Is it actually a misnomer? Since it's only used in
  global_dirtyable_memory(), it doesn't actually prevent dirtying of
  highmem, it just attempts to place a limit that corresponds to the
  amount of non-highmem.I have limited understanding at the moment, but
  that would be something different.

* That the codepaths around setting highmem_is_dirtyable from /proc
  is broken; it also needs to make a call to writeback_set_ratelimit()

* Even with highmem_is_dirtyable=1, there's still a sizeable difference
  between the value on bootup (78) and the evaluation once booted (2186).
  This goes the wrong direction and is far too big a difference to be
  solely nr_cpus_online() switching from 1 to 8.

The machine is 32-bit with 12GiB of RAM.

For info, I posted a typical zoneinfo, below.

> So yes, it does differ but not drastically. A difference between 1 and 8
> online CPU's would look differently I think. So my theory above is
> questionable. But you might try what it looks like on your system...
>

> > The system is an HP xw6600, running i686 kernel. This happens whether
> > internal SATA HDD, SSD or external USB drive is used. I first saw this on
> > kernel 4.0.4, and 4.0.5 is also affected.
>
> So what was the last version where you did change the dirty ratio and it worked
> fine?

Sorry, I don't know when it broke. I don't immediately have access to an
old kernel to test, but I could do that if necessary.

> > It would suprise me if I'm the only person who was setting dirty_ratio.
> >
> > Have others seen this behaviour? Thanks

Thanks, I hope you find this useful.

--
Mark