Date:	Mon, 29 Jun 2015 08:34:07 +0200
From:	Nils Rennebarth <nils.rennebarth@...tec-elmeg.com>
Subject: Reboot, powerdown (and hibernate suspend) not working. Help appreciated

Second try, this time with a better subject.

Hi,

I have a new Laptop, a Medion E4214, with a standard xubuntu LTS 14.04 installed.
My problem is, that the notebook does neither reboot nor powerdown (and consequently,
suspend and hibernate do not work either). It hangs late
in the powerdown/reboot sequence, with no error message shown on the console,
and I need to hold down the power button for 5s to switch it off hard.

I switched off the grub splash screen, to not miss any console messages, I stopped
X, network, sound and bluetooth, so that the loaded modules are only (lsmod output):

Module Size Used by
i915 1146880 1
drm_kms_helper 126976 1 i915
drm 352256 3 i915,drm_kms_helper
i2c_algo_bit 16384 1 i915
video 28672 1 i915
ahci 36864 2
libahci 32768 1 ahci

The problem persists, so if it the problem is in one of the drivers, it must be
one of the drivers above.
I tried to start with the reboot= set to acpi, bios, force or pci, to no avail.

Needless to say, that the notebook reboots/powers off when running windows 8.1

The system is mostly intel, ValleyView SoC, with a Realtek Ethernet controller.
Here is what lspci has to say:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation ValleyView SSA-CUnit (rev 0e)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation ValleyView Gen7 (rev 0e)
00:12.0 SD Host controller: Intel Corporation ValleyView SDIO Controller (rev 0e)
00:13.0 SATA controller: Intel Corporation ValleyView 6-Port SATA AHCI Controller (rev 0e)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation ValleyView USB xHCI Host Controller (rev 0e)
00:17.0 SD Host controller: Intel Corporation ValleyView MIPI-HSI Controller (rev 0e)
00:1a.0 Encryption controller: Intel Corporation ValleyView SEC (rev 0e)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation ValleyView High Definition Audio Controller (rev 0e)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation ValleyView PCI Express Root Port (rev 0e)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation ValleyView PCI Express Root Port (rev 0e)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation ValleyView USB Enhanced Host Controller (rev 0e)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation ValleyView Power Control Unit (rev 0e)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation ValleyView SMBus Controller (rev 0e)
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 0c)

Are there any options for startig / compiling to debug that further? Any tips appreciated.

Nils

--
Nils Rennebarth
Software developer

bintec elmeg security GmbH

Neue Brücke 3
D-70173 Stuttgart
Germany

Tel: +49-711-900300-64
Email: nils.rennebarth@...tec-elmeg.com
www: www.bintec-elmeg.com

Location: Nuremberg, Local Court Nuremberg, HRB 25481
Managing Director: Bernd Büttner