Date:	Tue, 11 Aug 2015 17:51:17 -0700
From:	"Paul E. McKenney" <paulmck@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>
To:	Andy Lutomirski <luto@...capital.net>
Cc:	"ksummit-discuss@...ts.linuxfoundation.org"
	<ksummit-discuss@...ts.linuxfoundation.org>,
	Christoph Lameter <cl@...ux.com>,
	Frédéric Weisbecker <fweisbec@...il.com>,
	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...nel.org>,
	Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
	"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@...or.com>,
	Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>,
	Chris Metcalf <cmetcalf@...hip.com>,
	Rik van Riel <riel@...hat.com>
Subject: Re: [BELATED CORE TOPIC] context tracking / nohz / RCU state

On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 02:52:59PM -0700, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 2:47 PM, Paul E. McKenney
> <paulmck@...ux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 12:07:54PM -0700, Andy Lutomirski wrote:

> >> Could we maybe have one set of old RCU-only (no context tracking)
> >> callbacks and a completely separate set of callbacks for arches that
> >> support full context tracking?  The implementation of the latter would
> >> presumably call into RCU.
> >
> > It should be possible for RCU to use context tracking if it is available
> > and to have RCU maintain its own state otherwise, if that is what you
> > are getting at.  Assuming that the decision is global and made at either
> > build or boot time, anyway.  Having some CPUs tracking context and others
> > not sounds like an invitation for subtle bugs.
>
> I think that, if this happens, the decision should be made at build
> time, per arch, and not be configurable.  If x86_64 uses context
> tracking, then I think x86_64 shouldn't need additional RCU callbacks,
> assuming that context tracking is comprehensive enough for RCU's
> purposes.

If by "shouldn't need additional RCU callbacks" you mean that x86_64
shouldn't need to call the existing rcu_user_enter() and rcu_user_exit()
functions, I agree.  Ditto for rcu_irq_enter(), rcu_irq_exit(),
rcu_nmi_enter(), rcu_nmi_exit(), I would guess.  But would be necessary
to invoke rcu_idle_enter() and rcu_idle_exit(), especially for
CONFIG_NO_HZ_FULL_SYSIDLE=y kernels.

							Thanx, Paul