Date:	Fri, 14 Aug 2015 02:17:17 +0300
From:	Stas Sergeev <stsp@...t.ru>
To:	Andy Lutomirski <luto@...capital.net>
Cc:	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>,
	Raymond Jennings <shentino@...il.com>,
	Cyrill Gorcunov <gorcunov@...il.com>,
	Pavel Emelyanov <xemul@...allels.com>,
	Linux kernel <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [regression] x86/signal/64: Fix SS handling for signals delivered
 to 64-bit programs breaks dosemu

14.08.2015 02:00, Andy Lutomirski пишет:
> On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 3:51 PM, Stas Sergeev <stsp@...t.ru> wrote:

>>> Yes.  sigaltstack says "hey, kernel! here's my SP for signal
>>> handling."  I think we'd need something similar to tell the kernel
>>> what my_tls_base is.  Using the most recent thing passed to
>>> ARCH_SET_FS is no good because WRFSBASE systems might not use
>>> ARCH_SET_FS, and we can't break DOSEMU on Ivy Bridge and newer as soon
>>> as we enable WRFSBASE.
>> If someone uses WRFSBASE and wants things to be preserved
>> in a sighandler, he'll just not set the aforementioned flag. No regression.
>> Whoever wants to use that flag properly, will not use WRFSBASE,
>> and will use ARCH_SET_FS or set_thread_area().
>> What exactly breakage do you have in mind?
> DOSEMU, when you set that flag, WRFSBASE gets enabled, and glibc's
> threading library starts using WRFSBASE instead of arch_prctl.
Whoever wants to use the new flag, will need to call
prctl(ARCH_SET_FS, needed_tls) or the like, before altering FS.
"needed_tls" will be the current TLS in most cases.
This will make kernel to know what TLS should be restored in
sighandler. Yes, that's resembles sigaltstack to some degree,
but is simple? Nothing special on kernel side, and not a big
deal for the user to call prctl().