Date:	Mon, 17 Aug 2015 09:04:15 -0400
From:	Austin S Hemmelgarn <ahferroin7@...il.com>
To:	Chuck Ebbert <cebbert.lkml@...il.com>, noisyb@...25u.com
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Hello everyone <3

On 2015-08-15 20:50, Chuck Ebbert wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Aug 2015 02:00:34 +0200
> noisyb@...25u.com wrote:
>
>> Question: Wouldn't it be a good idea to enforce the Linux trademark
>> (somewhen) in a way that all these streamlined operating systems use the
>> word "Linux" more carefully (or not at all) in their promotional
>> material? To make sure "correlation" isn't (deliberately) twisted into
>> "causation" by the media /if/ the streamlining trend starts to cause
>> serious regressions in transparency and reliability?
>>
>> Or is that too much politics for the weekend?
>
> Concern troll is concerned.
The way he stated his concern is of course not well thought out if he
wants anyone to act on it, and I do not at all condone it, but his point
is valid, people associating the regressions and instabilities that
systemd (or any other software that runs on Linux) with Linux itself is
not good for the public perception of Linux.

There are already a lot of people who associate the insanity that is
userspace library version incompatibilities (GNOME, KDE, GTK+, and Qt,
just to name a few) with the term 'Linux', and many people don't
differentiate between the Linux kernel and the userspace on top of it
unless that userspace is actively hiding the unixisms from the user
(SteamOS and ChromeOS being a excellent example of doing such
abstractions right).

Download attachment "smime.p7s" of type "application/pkcs7-signature" (3019 bytes)