Date:	Mon, 17 Aug 2015 06:36:03 +0200
From:	Borislav Petkov <bp@...e.de>
To:	Jiri Olsa <jolsa@...hat.com>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, x86@...nel.org,
	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...hat.com>, Borislav Petkov <bp@...e.de>,
	Robert Richter <rric@...nel.org>,
	"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@...or.com>,
	Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
	Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo <acme@...nel.org>,
	Namhyung Kim <namhyung@...nel.org>,
	Jan Stancek <jstancek@...hat.com>,
	Andy Lutomirski <luto@...capital.net>
Subject: Re: [BUG/RFC] perf test fails on AMD CPUs

On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 12:29:56AM +0200, Jiri Olsa wrote:
> hi,
> 'perf test 18' is failing on systems with AMD processor.

Hmm, still using that b0rked test box? :-)

Also, which kernel?

There have been substantial changes to the entry code recently. Although
I don't see anything being done differently on AMD there except
X86_BUG_SYSRET_SS_ATTRS but that should be unrelated.

> The only reason I could find is that AMD does not set 'resume flag'
> in RFLAGS register the way the Intel CPU does.
>
> (simplified) test scenario:
>
>   - create breakpoint (on test_function) perf event with SIGIO signal
>     to be delivered any time the breakpoint is hit
>   - run test_function
>

> expected course of actions is:
>   1) CPU hits 'test_function'
>   2) DB exception is triggered, with RFLAGS.RF=0
>   3) DB exception handler sets regs->RFLAGS.RF=1 and perf handler
>      triggers irq_work pending work
>   4) DB exception executes iretd
>   5) irq_work interrupt is triggered, with RFLAGS.RF=1
>   6) irq_work interrupt calls kill_fasync with SIGIO signal
>   7) irq_work interrupt on return to userspace calls prepare_exit_to_usermode
>      which actually delivers the SIGIO signal
>   8) sigreturn syscall prepare registers to return to the
>      instruction from step 1) and sets RFLAGS.RF to the its original
>      value from step 5) (RFLAGS.RF=1)
>   9) CPU hits 'test_function' and DB exception is NOT triggered
>      due to RFLAGS.RF=1
>
> this is how I see it works on Intel
>
> But AMD gives me RFLAGS.RF=0 on step 5, which makes the step 9 to
> trigger the DB exception once again and makes the test fail.

Adding Andy, he might have an idea. Leaving in the rest for reference.

--
Regards/Gruss,
    Boris.

ECO tip #101: Trim your mails when you reply.