Date:	Fri, 28 Aug 2015 09:43:03 +0530
From:	Jagan Teki <jteki@...nedev.com>
To:	punnaiah choudary kalluri <punnaia@...inx.com>
Cc:	Marek VaĊĦut <marex@...x.de>, harinik@...inx.com,
	Ranjit Waghmode <ranjit.waghmode@...inx.com>,
	Arnd Bergmann <arnd@...db.de>,
	Huang Shijie <b32955@...escale.com>,
	zajec5@...il.com, Michal Simek <michal.simek@...inx.com>,
	linux-spi@...r.kernel.org, juhosg@...nwrt.org, broonie@...nel.org,
	"linux-mtd@...ts.infradead.org" <linux-mtd@...ts.infradead.org>,
	Soren Brinkmann <soren.brinkmann@...inx.com>,
	knut.wohlrab@...bosch.com,
	Brian Norris <computersforpeace@...il.com>,
	ben@...adent.org.uk, David Woodhouse <dwmw2@...radead.org>,
	"linux-arm-kernel@...ts.infradead.org"
	<linux-arm-kernel@...ts.infradead.org>, beanhuo@...ron.com
Subject: Re: [LINUX RFC v2 0/4] spi: add dual parallel mode support in Zynq
 MPSoC GQSPI controller

On 27 August 2015 at 17:19, punnaiah choudary kalluri
<punnaia@...inx.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 3:45 PM, Jagan Teki <jteki@...nedev.com> wrote:
>> On 27 August 2015 at 14:18, punnaiah choudary kalluri
>> <punnaia@...inx.com> wrote:

>>> <snip>

>>> True and this is the reason we have controller drivers and protocol drivers.
>>> GQSPI is the controller driver and spi-nor and spi-nand are the
>>> protocol drivers.

>>> Just to clear, dual parallel( 2 CS and 8 IO lines) is not only specific
>>> to flash parts, one can use for any other custom streaming protocols
>>> I would say exporting dual parallel connection to protocol drivers is
>>> something like depicting the spi bus topology to the protocol layer.
>>
>> So dual parallel may not used for spi-nor flash it can also used other
>> spi slaves that's what your saying is it?
>
> Yes. As i said above, the main intention of this feature is to improve
> the data rate with an overhead of few IO lines.
>

>>> AFAIK, spi-nor and spi-nand are protocol drivers for accessing the
>>> nor and nand flash devices sitting on the spi bus using the spi
>>> controller driver.
>>
>> Yes, I do agree with your point, but though driver stacks are
>> different with same kind of bus here, I'm trying to spit the GQSPI
>> into 3 different controller drivers as Linux understand it and fit on
>> to Linux stack with out disturbing the generic-ness.
>
>  I feel this is not a nice idea. if there are 'n' functionalities and having
> 'n' controller drivers doesn't seem good in any direction.

Sorry, to be clear It doesn't depend on n-theory instead it divergent
based on the how many Linux stacks that the GQSPI handle. And also I
commented earlier on thread that it may not be a better solutions but
it could be one of the good approach to fit into Linux-where-it's-not
touching core stacks.

Yes, we can do by adding spi bus driver and adding the
generic-ness,but I'm feel it ended up talking to many stacks which is
advisably not a good idea.

> Protocol driver can query the spi core about the bus topology and it is the
> responsibility of the spi core and controller driver providing this information
> to the upper layers.

I agreed the protocol driver definition here,as per the spi-nor
framework the drivers/mtd/spi-nor driver not only a protocol or slave
or flash drivers but there are some controller driver as well ex:
fsl-qspi-spi-nor.c

OK, we both are in different directions - lets wait for any more
comments from others.

thanks!
--
Jagan | openedev.