Date:	Sat, 19 Dec 2015 07:56:27 +0100
From:	"Michael Kerrisk (man-pages)" <mtk.manpages@...il.com>
To:	Torvald Riegel <triegel@...hat.com>,
Cc:	mtk.manpages@...il.com, Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
	Andy Lutomirski <luto@...capital.net>,
	Daniel Wagner <wagi@...om.org>,
	Anton Blanchard <anton@...ba.org>,
	Steven Rostedt <rostedt@...dmis.org>,
	Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>,
	Jonathan Wakely <jwakely@...hat.com>,
	Mike Frysinger <vapier@...too.org>
Subject: Re: futex(3) man page, final draft for pre-release review

On 12/18/2015 12:21 PM, Torvald Riegel wrote:
> On Tue, 2015-12-15 at 13:18 -0800, Darren Hart wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 02:43:50PM +0100, Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) wrote:
>>>
>>>        When executing a futex operation that requests to block a thread,
>>>        the kernel will block only if the futex word has the  value  that
>>>        the  calling  thread  supplied  (as  one  of the arguments of the
>>>        futex() call) as the expected value of the futex word.  The load‐
>>>        ing  of the futex word's value, the comparison of that value with
>>>        the expected value, and the actual blocking  will  happen  atomi‐
>>>
>>> FIXME: for next line, it would be good to have an explanation of
>>> "totally ordered" somewhere around here.
>>>
>>>        cally  and totally ordered with respect to concurrently executing
>>
>> Totally ordered with respect futex operations refers to semantics of the
>> ACQUIRE/RELEASE operations and how they impact ordering of memory reads and
>> writes. The kernel futex operations are protected by spinlocks, which ensure
>> that that all operations are serialized with respect to one another.
>>
>> This is a lot to attempt to define in this document. Perhaps a reference to
>> linux/Documentation/memory-barriers.txt as a footnote would be sufficient? Or
>> perhaps for this manual, "serialized" would be sufficient, with a footnote
>> regarding "totally ordered" and a pointer to the memory-barrier documentation?
>
> I'd strongly prefer to document the semantics for users here.

Yes, please.

> And I
> don't think users use the kernel's memory model -- instead, if we assume
> that most users will call futex ops from C or C++, then the best we have
> is the C11 / C++11 memory model.

Agreed.

> Therefore, if we want to expand that,

I think we should. And by we, I mean you ;-)

> we should specify semantics in terms of as-if equivalence to C11 pseudo
> code.  I had proposed that in the past but, IIRC, Michael didn't want to
> add a C11 "dependency" in the semantics back then, at least for the
> initial release.

I'd like to avoid it if possible, since many of us don't understand
all the details of those C11 semantics--and by us, I mean
me :-/. But maybe I'll be forced to educate myself better.

Okay -- I'm open to all of the above.

Cheers,

Michael

--