Date:	Fri, 27 May 2016 15:51:37 -0700 (PDT)
From:	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>
To:	nix@...eri.org.uk
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, sparclinux@...r.kernel.org,
	fweimer@...hat.com
Subject: Re: [4.1.x -- 4.6.x and probably HEAD] Reproducible unprivileged
 panic/TLB BUG on sparc via a stack-protected rt_sigaction() ka_restorer,
 courtesy of the glibc testsuite

From: Nick Alcock <nix@...eri.org.uk>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2016 22:44:56 +0100

> Good move. Segfaulting the process is fine! :) Any process that does
> this sort of thing is clearly either terminally buggy, written by an
> idiot who doesn't know what he's doing (i.e. my original patch) or
> malicious. These all deserve SEGVs.
>
> (I still don't understand why this leads to spurious TLB faults, though.
> Filling the userland CPU registers with garbage is bad, but should still
> be reasonably harmless to the kernel, surely?)

I'm trying to figure out the same thing myself.

Even the unaligned stack pointer should be gracefully handled by the
kernel, so I think it has to be some other element of the register
state restore sequence.

The one area that deserves auditing is %tstate.  This is a privileged
register which we treat partially as non-privileged.  Specifically we
allow the user to modify the condition codes and the %asi register
which is encoded into here.

But I just went over that a few times.  We are really careful to mask
and only change those specific fields.

I'll keep plugging away at this and also play with your patches to
reproduce the bug.