Date:	Sun, 31 Jul 2016 00:17:13 -0700
From:	Dmitry Torokhov <dmitry.torokhov@...il.com>
To:	Arend van Spriel <arend.vanspriel@...adcom.com>,
	Daniel Wagner <daniel.wagner@...-carit.de>,
	Bjorn Andersson <bjorn.andersson@...aro.org>
CC:	Daniel Wagner <wagi@...om.org>, Bastien Nocera <hadess@...ess.net>,
	Johannes Berg <johannes.berg@...el.com>,
	Kalle Valo <kvalo@...eaurora.org>,
	Ohad Ben-Cohen <ohad@...ery.com>, linux-input@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-kselftest@...r.kernel.org, linux-wireless@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	"Luis R. Rodriguez" <mcgrof@...nel.org>
Subject: Re: [RFC v0 7/8] Input: ims-pcu: use firmware_stat instead of completion

On July 30, 2016 5:42:41 AM PDT, Arend van Spriel <arend.vanspriel@...adcom.com> wrote:
>+ Luis (again) ;-)
>
>On 29-07-16 08:13, Daniel Wagner wrote:

>>> [..]

>Excellent. Why not get rid of the callback function as well and have
>fw_loading_wait() return result (0 = firmware available, < 0 = fail).
>Just to confirm, you are proposing a new API function next to
>request_firmware_nowait(), right?

Yes, that would be a new API call. Maybe we could replace old API with the new at some point.

>    +			    pcu);

>	if (err)
>		return err;
>
>	fw = fwstat_get_firmware(pcu->fw_st);
>
>Or whatever consistent prefix it is going to be.
>

>>> In the remoteproc case (patch 6) this would clean up the code,
>rather
>>> than replacing the completion API 1 to 1. I like it!
>>
>> IIRC most drivers do it the same way. So request_firmware_async()
>indeed
>> would be good thing to have. Let me try that.
>
>While the idea behind this series is a good one I am wondering about
>the
>need for these drivers to use the asynchronous API. The historic reason
>might be to avoid timeout caused by user-mode helper, but that may no
>longer apply and these drivers could be better off using
>request_firmware_direct().

Actually systems using this driver rely on usermode helper to provide necessary delay and load the firmware from storage once root partition is mounted. Converting to request_firmware_direct() would break them.

Thanks.

--
Dmitry