Date:   Mon, 31 Oct 2016 19:47:08 -0700
From:   Randy Dunlap <rdunlap@...radead.org>
To:     Jason Vas Dias <jason.vas.dias@...il.com>
Cc:     linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
        linux-kbuild <linux-kbuild@...r.kernel.org>,
        Boris Barbulovski <bbarbulovski@...il.com>,
        Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira@...el.com>,
        Michal Marek <mmarek@...e.cz>
Subject: Re: please, where has xconfig KConf option documentation gone with
 linux 4.8's Qt5 / Qt4 xconfig ?

On 10/17/16 10:28, Randy Dunlap wrote:
> Boris or Thiago,
>
> Any comments, suggestions, or patches about this?
>
> thanks.

Hi Boris and Thiago,

Other than you patch of Oct. 17 (which needs to be added to linux-kconfig for
linux-next testing), the OP (Jason) mentioned that the xconfig "Help, Introduction"
mentions a toggle called "Show Debug Info" but there is no such option under
the Option menu.

The qconf.cc source file does contain a boolean called _showDebug. How is it
used?  It appears to only be settable by editing the .config/kernel.org/qconf.conf
file:
qconf\help\showDebug=false
and changing that 'false' to 'true'. Doing that still does not show any debug options
in the xconfig windows. What it appears to do is to highlight (via html) the kconfig
keywords so that the user can click on them, but when I do that, nothing useful
happens (they just disappear!).

So the questions are basically:

1. should be Help/Introduction text be cleaned up so that it does not refer to
Show Debug Options? or should that toggle be reinstated?

2. how is /showDebug used? should it be documented? should it be fixed?
should it be deleted?

Thanks.

--
~Randy