Date:   Fri, 11 Nov 2016 19:06:59 +0100
From:   Ilya Dryomov <idryomov@...il.com>
To:     Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
Cc:     Al Viro <viro@...iv.linux.org.uk>, Yan Zheng <zyan@...hat.com>,
        linux-fsdevel <linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [git pull] vfs.git

On Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 6:25 PM, Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@...ux-foundation.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 10:05 PM, Al Viro <viro@...iv.linux.org.uk> wrote:
>>         Christoph's and Jan's aio fixes, fixup for generic_file_splice_read
>> (removal of pointless detritus that actually breaks it when used for gfs2
>> ->splice_read()) and fixup for generic_file_read_iter() interaction with
>> ITER_PIPE destinations.
>
> Hmm. I also just pulled the Ceph update that has commit 8a8d56176635
> ("ceph: use default file splice read callback"). I _think_ this splice
> fix makes that ceph change unnecessary. But testing is always good.
>
> Ilya? Can you double-check the current -git tree (well, what I *will*
> push out soon after it has passed my build tests)?
>
> Because I think Ceph can go back to using generic_file_splice_read again.

Separate to Al's splice changes in this window, there is an old issue
where ceph manipulates page cache pages without the "buffer" capability
from the metadata server.  Zheng is working on a fix and it's all tied
up together, so I'm not sure...

I'm afraid he called it a week already, but we will definitely look
into it.

Thanks,

                Ilya