Date:   Thu, 8 Dec 2016 20:52:15 -0500
From:   Paul Gortmaker <paul.gortmaker@...driver.com>
To:     Kees Cook <keescook@...gle.com>
Cc:     Stephen Rothwell <sfr@...b.auug.org.au>,
        Arnd Bergmann <arnd@...db.de>,
        Randy Dunlap <rdunlap@...radead.org>,
        Olof Johansson <olof@...om.net>,
        Mark Brown <broonie@...nel.org>, info@...nelci.org,
        Will Deacon <will.deacon@....com>,
        Russell King - ARM Linux <linux@....linux.org.uk>,
        LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
        Linux-Next <linux-next@...r.kernel.org>,
        Fengguang Wu <fengguang.wu@...el.com>,
        Andrew Donnellan <andrew.donnellan@....ibm.com>,
        Michael Ellerman <mpe@...erman.id.au>,
        Laura Abbott <labbott@...hat.com>,
        "x86@...nel.org" <x86@...nel.org>
Subject: Re: enabling COMPILE_TEST support for GCC plugins in v4.11

On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 2:00 PM, Kees Cook <keescook@...gle.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to get the GCC plugins building under
> allyesconfig/allmodconfig for -next soon (with the intention of
> landing the change in v4.11). Specifically, I intend to revert
> a519167e753e ("gcc-plugins: disable under COMPILE_TEST").

If I recall correctly, I noted that the plugins broke the kernel.org
cross compiler toolchains which led to the above disable.

Has that changed?    People who have been doing tree wide changes
and have been compiling across a bunch of different arch to ensure
their changes don't cause breakage should not be left out in the cold.

If there are newer toolchains that I can download and use in "toaster"
mode, then great.   But I (and many others) don't want to waste a day
trying to make the latest gcc build some obsolete pa-risc architecture
just to support a Kconfig default setting change.

Can you elaborate on the motivation for this change?  At the moment
I see more downsides than advantages.

Thanks,
Paul.