Date:   Sun, 18 Dec 2016 12:04:52 +0100
From:   Pali Rohár <pali.rohar@...il.com>
To:     Arend Van Spriel <arend.vanspriel@...adcom.com>
Cc:     Daniel Wagner <wagi@...om.org>,
        "Luis R. Rodriguez" <mcgrof@...nel.org>,
        Tom Gundersen <teg@...m.no>,
        Johannes Berg <johannes@...solutions.net>,
        Ming Lei <ming.lei@...onical.com>,
        Mimi Zohar <zohar@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>,
        Bjorn Andersson <bjorn.andersson@...aro.org>,
        Rafał Miłecki <zajec5@...il.com>,
        Kalle Valo <kvalo@...eaurora.org>,
        Sebastian Reichel <sre@...nel.org>,
        Pavel Machek <pavel@....cz>,
        Michal Kazior <michal.kazior@...to.com>,
        Ivaylo Dimitrov <ivo.g.dimitrov.75@...il.com>,
        Aaro Koskinen <aaro.koskinen@....fi>,
        Tony Lindgren <tony@...mide.com>,
        "linux-wireless" <linux-wireless@...r.kernel.org>,
        Network Development <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
        David Woodhouse <dwmw2@...radead.org>,
        Takashi Iwai <tiwai@...e.de>,
        Josh Boyer <jwboyer@...oraproject.org>,
        Dmitry Torokhov <dmitry.torokhov@...il.com>
Subject: Re: wl1251 & mac address & calibration data

On Sunday 18 December 2016 11:49:53 Arend Van Spriel wrote:
> On 16-12-2016 11:40, Pali Rohár wrote:
> >>
> >> The firmwared project is hosted here
> >>
> >> https://github.com/teg/firmwared
> >>
> >> As Luis pointed out, firmwared relies on
> >> FW_LOADER_USER_HELPER_FALLBACK, which is not enabled by default.
> >
> > I know. But it does not mean that I cannot enable this option at
> > kernel compile time.
> >
> > Bigger problem is that currently request_firmware() first try to
> > load firmware directly from VFS and after that (if fails) fallback
> > to user helper.
> >
> > So I would need to extend kernel firmware code with new function
> > (or flag) to not use VFS and try only user mode helper.
>
> Why do you need the user-mode helper anyway. This is all static data,
> right?

Those are static data, but device specific!

> So why not cook up a firmware file in user-space once and put
> it in /lib/firmware for the driver to request directly.

1. Violates FHS

2. Does not work for readonly /, readonly /lib, readonly /lib/firmware

3. Backup & restore of rootfs between same devices does not work (as
rootfs now contains device specific data).

4. Sharing one rootfs (either via nfs or other technology) does not work
for more devices (even in state when rootfs is used only by one device
at one time).

And it is common that N900 developers have rootfs in laptop and via usb
(cdc_ether) exports it over nfs to N900 device and boot system. It
basically break booting from one nfs-exported rootfs, as that export
become model specific...

> Seems a bit
> overkill to have a {e,}udev or whatever daemon running if the result
> is always the same. Just my 2 cents.

No it is not. It will break couple of other things in Linux and device
and model specific calibration data should not be in /lib/firmware! That
directory is used for firmware files, not calibration.

--
Pali Rohár
pali.rohar@...il.com

Download attachment "signature.asc " of type "application/pgp-signature" (199 bytes)