Date:   Mon, 19 Dec 2016 18:44:10 -0700
From:   David Ahern <dsahern@...il.com>
To:     Andy Lutomirski <luto@...capital.net>,
        Alexei Starovoitov <alexei.starovoitov@...il.com>
Cc:     Andy Lutomirski <luto@...nel.org>, Daniel Mack <daniel@...que.org>,
        Mickaël Salaün <mic@...ikod.net>,
        Kees Cook <keescook@...omium.org>, Jann Horn <jann@...jh.net>,
        Tejun Heo <tj@...nel.org>,
        Thomas Graf <tgraf@...g.ch>,
        Michael Kerrisk <mtk.manpages@...il.com>,
        Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>,
        Linux API <linux-api@...r.kernel.org>,
        Network Development <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Potential issues (security and otherwise) with the current
 cgroup-bpf API

On 12/19/16 5:25 PM, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
> net.socket_create_filter = "none": no filter
> net.socket_create_filter = "bpf:baadf00d": bpf filter
> net.socket_create_filter = "disallow": no sockets created period
> net.socket_create_filter = "iptables:foobar": some iptables thingy
> net.socket_create_filter = "nft:blahblahblah": some nft thingy
> net.socket_create_filter = "address_family_list:1,2,3": allow AF 1, 2, and 3

Such a scheme works for the socket create filter b/c it is a very simple use case. It does not work for the ingress and egress which allow generic bpf filters.

>> you're ignoring use cases I described earlier.
>> In vrf case there is only one ifindex it needs to bind to.
>
> I'm totally lost.  Can you explain what this has to do with the cgroup
> hierarchy?

I think the point is that a group hierarchy makes no sense for the VRF use case. What I put into iproute2 is

    cgrp2/vrf/NAME

where NAME is the vrf name. The filter added to it binds ipv4 and ipv6 sockets to a specific device index. cgrp2/vrf is the "default" vrf and does not have a filter. A user can certainly add another layer cgrp2/vrf/NAME/NAME2 but it provides no value since VRF in a VRF does not make sense.

>>> I like this last one, but IT'S NOT A POSSIBLE FUTURE EXTENSION.  You
>>> have to do it now (or disable the feature for 4.10).  This is why I'm
>>> bringing this whole thing up now.
>>
>> We don't have to touch user visible api here, so extensions are fine.
>
> Huh?  My example in the original email attaches a program in a
> sub-hierarchy.  Are you saying that 4.11 could make that example stop
> working?

Are you suggesting sub-cgroups should not be allowed to override the filter of a parent cgroup?