Date:   Tue, 10 Jan 2017 00:24:03 +0100
From:   Lukas N Wirz <l.n.wirz@...mi.uio.no>
To:     linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: hfsplus: GPF when deleting many files/folder

Hi,

On kernel 4.9.0 (compiled on debian8) I encounter a general protection
fault when I delete folders with many files in them on an hfsplus file
system.

The flavour of the hfs is unjournalled/case sensitive.  The file system
is left in a corrupted state (keys out of order, etc) and cannot be
repaired with fsck.hfsplus.  I can reproduce this problem by creating a
new hfsplus filesystem (which passes fsck.hfsplus), copying a few
folders (with files) to the new fs, and deleting the folders.  I have
tried this on two different physical hard drives to exclude a hardware
problem.

I don't have this issue under 4.4.0.  I have not tried to compile the
current 4.10.rc2 but there appear to be no relevant changes in fs/hfs or
fs/hfsplus.

Attached are a call trace from kern.log, the output of ver_linux, and
the content of /proc/filesystems.

Please tell me if any more information would be useful.

cheers, lukas

View attachment "kern-hfsplus.log" of type "text/x-log" (10712 bytes)

View attachment "proc-filesystems" of type "text/plain" (324 bytes)

View attachment "ver-linux" of type "text/plain" (1850 bytes)

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (182 bytes)