Date:   Mon, 27 Feb 2017 15:51:24 -0700
From:   Andreas Dilger <adilger@...ger.ca>
To:     Jeff Layton <jlayton@...hat.com>
Cc:     NeilBrown <neilb@...e.com>,
        James Bottomley <James.Bottomley@...senPartnership.com>,
        linux-mm <linux-mm@...ck.org>,
        LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
        lsf-pc <lsf-pc@...ts.linuxfoundation.org>,
        Neil Brown <neilb@...e.de>,
        linux-scsi <linux-scsi@...r.kernel.org>,
        linux-block@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [LSF/MM TOPIC] do we really need PG_error at all?

On Feb 27, 2017, at 8:07 AM, Jeff Layton <jlayton@...hat.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> missing and repeatedly try to re-load it?
>> When the application eventually gets to the faulty page, should a read
>> be tried then, or is the read-ahead failure permanent?

>>> I didn't say anything about the mechanism.  I think the function you're
>>> looking for is fs/mpage.c:mpage_end_io().  layers below block indicate
>>> the position in the request.  Block maps the position to bio and the
>>> bio completion maps to page.  So the actual granularity seen in the
>>> upper layer depends on how the page to bio mapping is done.
>>
>> If the block layer is just returning the status at a per-bio level (which
>> makes perfect sense), then this has nothing directly to do with the
>> PG_error flag.
>>
>> The page cache needs to do something with bi_error, but it isn't
>> immediately clear that it needs to set PG_error.
>>
>>> :q
>>>
>>> Usually pages in the mpage_end_io path are pinned, I think.

>>> It does ... but a bio can be as small as a single page.

>>> It's not just filesystems.  The partition code uses PageError() ... the
>>> metadata code might as well (those are things with no mapping).  I'm
>>> not saying we can't remove PG_error; I am saying it's not going to be
>>> quite as simple as using the AS_ flags.
>>
>> The partition code could use PageUptodate().
>> mpage_end_io() calls page_endio() on each page, and on read error that
>> calls:
>>
>> 			ClearPageUptodate(page);
>> 			SetPageError(page);
>>
>> are both of these necessary?
>>

>> fs/buffer.c can use several bios to read a single page.
>> If any one returns an error, PG_error is set.  When all of them have
>> completed, if PG_error is clear, PG_uptodate is then set.
>> This is an opportunistic use of PG_error, rather than an essential use.
>> It could be "fixed", and would need to be fixed if we were to deprecate
>> use of PG_error for read errors.
>> There are probably other usages like this.
>>

> Ok, I think I get it (somewhat):
>
> The tricky part there is how to handle the PageError check in
> read_dev_sector if you don't use SetPageError in the result handler.
>
> If we can count on read_pagecache_sector and read_dax_sector reliably
> returning an error when the page is considered to be in the cache
> (PageUpToDate) but had a read error, then that would work. I'm not sure
> how you'd indicate that without something like PG_error though if you
> don't want to retry on every attempt.
>
> OTOH, if we want to always retry to read in pages that have had read
> errors when someone requests them, then we can simply not set
> PageUpToDate when readahead fails.
>
> To chip away at the edges of this, what may make sense is to get this
> flag out of the writeback code as much as we can. When a write fails and
> SetPageError is called, we should also mark the mapping with an error.
> Then, we should be able to stop overriding the mapping error with -EIO
> in that codepath. Maybe call ClearPageError, or maybe leave it alone

My thought is that PG_error is definitely useful for applications to get
correct errors back when doing write()/sync_file_range() so that they know
there is an error in the data that _they_ wrote, rather than receiving an
error for data that may have been written by another thread, and in turn
clearing the error from another thread so it *doesn't* know it had a write
error.

As for stray sync() clearing PG_error from underneath an application, that
shouldn't happen since filemap_fdatawait_keep_errors() doesn't clear errors
and is used by device flushing code (fdatawait_one_bdev(), wait_sb_inodes()).

Cheers, Andreas

>>> James

> --
> Jeff Layton <jlayton@...hat.com>

Cheers, Andreas

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (196 bytes)