Date:   Thu, 2 Mar 2017 19:04:41 -0800
From:   Guenter Roeck <linux@...ck-us.net>
To:     Tobias Klauser <tklauser@...tanz.ch>
Cc:     Sven Schmidt <4sschmid@...ormatik.uni-hamburg.de>,
        Sandra Loosemore <sandra@...esourcery.com>,
        Arnd Bergmann <arnd@...db.de>,
        linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, Ley Foon Tan <lftan@...era.com>,
        nios2-dev@...ts.rocketboards.org
Subject: Re: nios2 crash/hang in mainline due to 'lib: update LZ4 compressor
 module'

On 03/02/2017 08:38 AM, Tobias Klauser wrote:
> On 2017-03-01 at 20:45:21 +0100, Guenter Roeck <linux@...ck-us.net> wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 01, 2017 at 07:58:17PM +0100, Sven Schmidt wrote:
>>> Hi Guenter, Tobias and Sandra,
>>>
>>> thanks for your effort here.

>>> It seems a bit strange that code which is not actually called causes problems like that.
>>>
>> Yes, it is, though it is always possible. The code isn't exactly easy to
>> understand; there may be some hidden caveats such as global variables. It may
>> also be that some jump target exceeds its range (though why that would only
>> be seen with the LZ4 code is another question), or that the compiler gets
>> confused by the forced inlines (disabling that didn't make a difference,
>> though, nor did disabling -O3).
>>
>>> Please let me know if and how I may help you figure out what's happening, especially
>>> regarding the differences between the previous LZ4 and the current implementation.
>>>

>> For my part I am all but clueless. Unless someone has an idea, we may to
>> disable LZ4 support for nios2 for the time being. Does anyone have thoughts
>> on that ? Of course, that would not help if the problem also affects
>> recent gcc/binutil versions on other architectures.
>
> After some further investigations, I'd say this isn't "caused" by LZ4
> specifically but by a more general problem with one of the nios2 arch
> specific tools involved.
>
> I manually enabled random additional CONFIG_* options and in some cases
> I got the kernel to boot (with CONFIG_RD_LZ4 enabled and no return
> -EINVAL in place) while in others I didn't. So I'd rather suspect this
> problem to be connected to the size or structure of the generated vmlinux
> image.
>
> Or could this even be a problem with qemu? Did anyone already verify
> this on the 10m50 devboard? (Unfortunately I don't have any nios2
> devboard available right now, otherwise I would have done this...)

That is of course always possible.

> Other than that I'm also becoming all but clueless... One option I
> thought of was using the QEMU monitor to dump the CPU state after the
> hang but so far I didn't manage to get it to work (hints appreciated ;)

Something like

qemu-system-nios2 -M 10m50-ghrd -kernel vmlinux -no-reboot \
	-dtb arch/nios2/boot/dts/10m50_devboard.dtb \
	--append "rdinit=/sbin/init" -initrd busybox-nios2.cpio

gives you a qemu monitor window. Use "info registers" to see registers.
Looks like it is stuck in init_bootmem_core, or at least that is what it
shows for me.

Guenter