Date:   Fri, 10 Mar 2017 10:49:29 +0800
From:   Fengguang Wu <lkp@...el.com>
To:     Pavel Machek <pavel@....cz>
Cc:     kbuild-all@...org,
        Laurent Pinchart <laurent.pinchart@...asonboard.com>,
        Sakari Ailus <sakari.ailus@....fi>, mchehab@...nel.org,
        kernel list <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
        ivo.g.dimitrov.75@...il.com, sre@...nel.org, pali.rohar@...il.com,
        linux-media@...r.kernel.org, git@...r.kernel.org,
        Ye Xiaolong <xiaolong.ye@...el.com>
Subject: Re: [media] omap3isp: Correctly set IO_OUT_SEL and VP_CLK_POL for
 CCP2 mode

On Fri, Mar 03, 2017 at 10:48:38PM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
>Hi!
>
>> [auto build test ERROR on linuxtv-media/master]
>> [also build test ERROR on v4.10 next-20170303]
>> [if your patch is applied to the wrong git tree, please drop us a note to help improve the system]
>>

>Yes, the patch is against Sakari's ccp2 branch. It should work ok there.
>
>I don't think you can do much to fix the automated system....

We could, if "git format-patch" can be setup to auto append lines

        parent-commit: X
        parent-patch-id: Y

With that information, as long as the parent commit/patch is public --
either by "git push" or posting patch to mailing lists -- we'll have
good chance to find and use it as the base for "git am".

Currently "git format-patch" already has the option "--base=auto" to
auto append the more accurate lines

        base-commit: P
        prerequisite-patch-id: X
        prerequisite-patch-id: Y
        prerequisite-patch-id: Z

That's the best information git can offer. Unfortunately it cannot
ALWAYS work without human aid. What's worse, when it cannot figure out
the base-commit, the whole "git format-patch" command will abort like
this

        $ git format-patch -1
        fatal: base commit shouldn't be in revision list

That fatal error makes it not a viable option to always turn on
"--base=auto" in .gitconfig.

Without a fully-automated solution, I don't think many people will
bother or remember to manually specify base-commit before sending
patches out.

To effectively save the robot from "base commit" guessing works, what
we can do is to

1) append "parent-commit"/"parent-patch-id" lines when git cannot
   figure out and append the "base-commit"/"prerequisite-patch-id"
   lines. So that the test robot always get the information to do
   its job.

2) advise kernel developers to run this once

        git config format.useAutoBase yes

   to configure "--base=auto" as the default behavior.

Thanks,
Fengguang