Date:   Mon, 01 May 2017 11:05:28 +0900
From:   "J. R. Okajima" <hooanon05g@...il.com>
To:     Andrea Arcangeli <aarcange@...hat.com>
Cc:     joonas.lahtinen@...ux.intel.com, chris@...is-wilson.co.uk,
        daniel.vetter@...ll.ch, jani.nikula@...el.com,
        linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Q. drm/i915 shrinker, synchronize_rcu_expedited() from handlers

Thanx for the reply.

Andrea Arcangeli:
> Yes I already reported this, my original fix was way more efficient
> (and also safer considering the above) than what landed upstream. My
> feedback was ignored though.
>
> https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/intel-gfx/2017-April/125414.html

I see.
Actually on my test system for v4.11-rc8, kthreadd, kworker, kswapd and
others all stopped working due to the synchronize_rcu_expedited call
from i915_gem_shrinker_count. It is definitly a show stopper for me as
an i915 user.

It was a few weeks ago when you posted. It is a pity the fix was not
merged before v4.11 comes out. I know v4.11 will appear soon. So I'd ask
i915 developers, would you test Andrea Arcangeli's fix and release it as
v4.11.1 as soon as possible?

J. R. Okajima