Date:   Thu, 11 May 2017 08:54:50 +0200
From:   Ingo Molnar <mingo@...nel.org>
To:     Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
Cc:     "Paul E. McKenney" <paulmck@...ibm.com>,
        Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>
Subject: Re: [RFC GIT PULL, v2] RCU changes for v4.12

* Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org> wrote:

> On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 12:54 PM, Ingo Molnar <mingo@...nel.org> wrote:
> >
> > Yeah, you are right and sorry about that - I have removed the patch
> > generation from my pull request scripts, so it shouldn't happen in
> > the future.
>
> I do have to say, that during the later -rc series in particular when
> people send me smaller fixes, I enjoy seeing the full patches.

I find them useful too, and to answer your original question:

> > Nobody is ever going to review a 300kB patch that is ~7500 lines.

I _did_ skim over that 300K patch, because I always try to do a final manual check
on the raw diffs I'm sending to you, and also to make it very clear what was sent
from a full disclosure and security log POV, independent of the Git pull space.

When patches are way too long, for example as the perf pull request diffs often
are, I trim them, so it's never an absolute, script-only thing.

Still it's not an excuse:

 - I doubt anyone else but me would skim over a 30K (let alone a 300K) patch,

 - I also missed the pain large patches cause in Gmail replies (with Mutt that
   pain is considerably less),

 - plus, most importantly, I didn't notice that the extra RCU mode bloat was one
   too many in an already sizable line-up of RCU complexity ...

Thanks,

	Ingo