Date:   Thu, 15 Jun 2017 20:05:13 -0400
From:   Daniel Micay <danielmicay@...il.com>
To:     Kees Cook <keescook@...omium.org>,
Cc:     Stephen Rothwell <sfr@...b.auug.org.au>,
Subject: Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the akpm-current tree

On Thu, 2017-06-15 at 16:46 -0700, Kees Cook wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 12:12 PM, Andrew Morton
> <akpm@...ux-foundation.org> wrote:

> > > I sent a series for -mm (or maintainers) to merge that should
> > > catch
> > > everything. Do you want me to carry it in my kspp tree instead?
> > > (My
> > > original intention was to carry all the fixes and the fortify
> > > patch in
> > > kspp but akpm took it into -mm somewhat unexpectedly, not that I'm
> > > complaining.)
> >
> > This is all getting a bit foggy in my mind.  Can we please have a
> > full
> > resend of everything?  Sufficient to hopefully produce a tree which
> > has
> > no build-time or run-time regressions?  Including the buildbot's
> > recently-reported alpha and xtensa issues?
>
> It's been sent a few times (and a few fixes have been collected in
> other trees already). What I've got in my for-next/kspp tree right now
> is all the fixes that haven't already been picked up by other tree
> maintainers, and I added the fortify patch itself to the end of the
> tree too now since sfr asked for that a few hours ago.
>
> Merged with latest -next, this passes x86_64, i386, arm64, and powerpc
> allmodconfig builds for me. It doesn't pass arm, though. Perhaps we
> need to add an ARCH_HAS_FORTIFY_SOURCE to gate the all*config builds?
>
> Should we let the dust settle first? I'm happy to do whatever makes
> the most sense, I'm just following what (I understand) sfr suggested
> most recently. :)
>
> -Kees

If it needs to build and boot on every architecture, I think we should
gate it on i386, x86_64, arm64 or powerpc where it has been tested.

I think I know what has to be fixed for alpha and xtensa but there might
be more problems. It's better to wait for someone willing / able to do
it properly by building it themselves and doing basic runtime testing.