Date:   Wed, 26 Jul 2017 16:15:53 +0200
From:   Jiri Olsa <jolsa@...hat.com>
To:     Andi Kleen <andi@...stfloor.org>
Cc:     acme@...nel.org, jolsa@...nel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Support standalone metrics and metric groups for perf

On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 04:40:00PM -0700, Andi Kleen wrote:
> Add generic support for standalone metrics specified in JSON files
> to perf stat. A metric is a formula that uses multiple events
> to compute a higher level result (e.g. IPC).
>
> For more complex metrics we need to have micro architecture
> specific knowledge, so it makes sense to tie metrics to
> JSON event lists.
>
> Previously metrics were always tied to an event and automatically
> enabled with that event. But now change it that we can have
> standalone metrics. They are in the same JSON data structure
> as events, but don't have an event name, only a metric name.
>
> We also allow to organize the metrics in metric groups, which
> allows a short cut to select several related metrics at once.
>
> This patch kit adds the code to perf to manage metric groups
>
> The first few patches are generic bug fixes and can be applied
> directly. Then there is a 'weak group' feature that is useful
> independently from metrics. After there are metrics specific
> patches.
>
> The patches are available in
>
>    git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/ak/linux-misc.git perf/metric-group-4
>
> The actual Intel JSON metrics are available in git as a separate pull
> request in
>
>    git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/ak/linux-misc.git perf/intel-json-metrics-2

hi,
looks like it's not pushed out?

[jolsa@...va perf]$ git remote -v | grep andi
andi    git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/ak/linux-misc.git (fetch)
andi    git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/ak/linux-misc.git (push)
[jolsa@...va perf]$ git remote update andi
Fetching andi
[jolsa@...va perf]$ git branch -r | grep metric-group
[jolsa@...va perf]$ git branch -r | grep intel-json-metrics-2