Date:   Sat, 2 Sep 2017 10:46:34 +0530
From:   Ritesh Harjani <riteshh@...eaurora.org>
To:     Adrian Hunter <adrian.hunter@...el.com>, ulf.hansson@...aro.org
Cc:     linux-mmc@...r.kernel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
        stummala@...eaurora.org, asutoshd@...eaurora.org
Subject: Re: [RFC 0/4] mmc: sdhci-msm: Add CQE support for sdhci-msm

On 8/31/2017 2:09 PM, Adrian Hunter wrote:
> On 30/08/17 16:04, Ritesh Harjani wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Please ignore the previous patch series from a wrong email
>> address. Stupid gitconfig issue. Apologies for the spam.
>>
>> This is RFC patch series based on top of ulfh_mmc/cmdq branch
>> which is based upon Adrian's CMDQ patch series.
>>
>> Below patch series enables CQE for sdhci-msm platform.
>> This has been tested on internal 8996 MTP which has CMDQ support.
>>
>> Fixes w.r.t. CMDQ:-
>> There are some patches identified which were required atleast on
>> MSM platform. I am not sure if these are required for any other
>> CQE platform or not. Patchset 1, 3 & 4 commit text describes
>> the problems.
>>
>> Performance related:-
>> I gave one small shot for performance and the numbers were not looking good.
>> So, unless I have tested for performance completely, I should not discuss
>> on performance numbers as of now with this patchset.
>> I can try doing some more performance testing and post the results -
>> though this may take some while.
>
> You might also need custom Send Status Configuration.

Yes, I will check that once.
I think for the single job I/O this may not would have matter much.
But sure, I will check on this, if re-configuring is needed.

>> I used below test script for random read/write test.
>>
>> *randwrite-test-script*
>> [global]
>> bs=32k
>> size=1g
>> rw=randwrite
>> direct=1
>> directory=/data/fiotest
>
> Random write results can vary a lot.  It is important to know if the eMMC
> has lots of un-mapped blocks or not. e.g. for ext4 is the "-o discard"
> option being used.  I find I get more consistent results if I always have
> discards enabled.
>

>> [file1]
>> filename=singlefile1
>>
>> *randread-test-script*
>> [global]
>> bs=32k
>> size=1g
>> rw=randread
>> directory=/data/fiotest
>
> If you don't set numjobs > 1 then there is little benefit of the queue.
> Also still need direct=1

Yes, silly me. But still I got lower results with single job then.
But anyways let me again check this out. Thanks.

--
Qualcomm India Private Limited, on behalf of Qualcomm Innovation Center,
Inc.