Date:   Tue, 14 Nov 2017 07:56:52 -0800
From:   Mark Salyzyn <salyzyn@...roid.com>
To:     Petr Mladek <pmladek@...e.com>,
Cc:     Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
        LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
        Ingo Molnar <mingo@...nel.org>,
        "H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@...or.com>,
        Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>,
        Prarit Bhargava <prarit@...hat.com>,
        Sergey Senozhatsky <sergey.senozhatsky@...il.com>,
        Steven Rostedt <rostedt@...dmis.org>
Subject: Re: [GIT pull] printk updates for 4.15

On 11/14/2017 02:03 AM, Petr Mladek wrote:
> On Mon 2017-11-13 17:18:33, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 1:36 AM, Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de> wrote:
>> Honestly, this just seems bogus to me, particularly since it's a single choice.
>>
>> The *sane* model would be to
>>
>>   (a) continue to use the existing time that we always have
>> (local_clock()) in the printk timestamps, and don't confuse people
>> with the semantics of that field changing.
>>
>>   (b) just emit a "synchronization printk" every once in a while, which
>> is obviously also using the same standard time source, but the line
>> actually _says_ what the other time sources are.
> This was actually the original approach by Mark Salyzyn, see
> https://lkml.kernel.org/r/20170720182505.9357-1-salyzyn@android.com

Thanks for the vote of confidence :-) but we were holding back re
spinning that set until the ability to switch the primary timestamp got
accepted. (we were to use U suffix for realtime, B for boottime etc to
designate them).

Printing the other timebases during major disruptions
(suspend/resume/etc) was needed for our battery monitoring analysis
tools, and we only used them as synchronization markers as a secondary
effect.

But we _also_ had Android partners asking if it was possible to switch
the primary (dmesg) timestamp to one of boottime or realtime to aid in
triaging temporal issues. Doing so in the tool was sometimes too
inaccurate (~+/-20ms) even with help sniffing the periodic
synchronization/disruption prints. Switching the timebase for dmesg gave
us roughly 1000 times more comparative time precision which helps
immensely when trying to correlate and order the sequence of events in
user space and kernel activities.

-- Mark