Date:   Sun, 19 Nov 2017 20:36:19 -1000
From:   Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
To:     Kevin Easton <kevin@...rana.org>
Cc:     Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
        Mark Salyzyn <salyzyn@...roid.com>,
        Petr Mladek <pmladek@...e.com>,
        LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
        Ingo Molnar <mingo@...nel.org>,
        "H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@...or.com>,
        Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>,
        Prarit Bhargava <prarit@...hat.com>,
        Sergey Senozhatsky <sergey.senozhatsky@...il.com>,
        Steven Rostedt <rostedt@...dmis.org>,
        John Stultz <john.stultz@...aro.org>
Subject: Re: [GIT pull] printk updates for 4.15

On Sun, Nov 19, 2017 at 8:20 PM, Kevin Easton <kevin@...rana.org> wrote:

> As a comment from the userspace peanut gallery, I personally hope this
> does pass muster.  The existing POSIX wording implies that MONOTONIC
> doesn't stop counting over suspend, and that's what you need when you
> want to know the time elapsed between two external events.

Well, people testing the patch (being aware of Thomas' warning) would be good.

It would be particularly good to test suspending when a lot of timers
are active, particularly on a machine that isn't so beefy as to hide
any big load spikes etc.

Traditionally that tends to be networking but also lots of graphical
programs with animations..

              Linus